Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

What the Pho?

I wonder how many blog entries will be titled that today? hehe

So this morning I felt fanfarkingtastic. Tonight? Not so much. Lots of talk of flu and the cold weather setting in.. and hubbs doesn't feel good.. so I dunno if this is psychosomatic or if my wonderful husband has shared a germ with me.. but I feel like poo. So this is going to be short and sweet! :)

The October 2009 Daring Cooks’ challenge was brought to us by Jaden of the blog Steamy Kitchen. The recipes are from her new cookbook, The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook.


Ah-mazing. That's all I can say about this Vietnamese Beef Pho soup. I was a lil iffy with those spices.. anise and cinnamon in a savory beef soup? *shudder* But boy were my eyes opened after that first taste. I couldn't have been more surprised or more happy with the results.


I went with the long version of the Beef Pho from Jaden's Steamy Kitchen because Hubbs had just made his world famous (not really) chicken noodle soup 2 days before. Jaden's quick version of Pho Ga, which is found in her brand spankin' new KICK ASS book, The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook: 101 Asian Recipes Simple Enough for Tonight's Dinner is on the menu next week while I am on VACATION! WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!! Actually quite a few of the recipes in her book are on the menu next week as I am reviewing it for this blog, so keep an eye out! :) (It will also be reviewed on The Daring Kitchen TWICE! So look for those reviews too. ;)
        

Anyhoo.. this month's challenge was about learning how to toast spices and how to make a KILLER stock. Both of which I'd never tackled in the kitchen before. That stock.. oh that stock.. so rich, so flavorful.. so freakin' delicious. Just the right amount of saltiness and beefiness. AND another weird ass thing was creating a bowl full of noodles, bean sprouts, thinly sliced red onions (chilies and cilantro too.. but we omitted because we didn't have any and I couldn't talk Mr. Chicken Soup Two Fakkin Days Before I'm Suppose To Cook Vietnamese Chicken Soup into running to the grocery store for me. Gah.) LIME and RAW BEEF. Seriously. I decided to use London Broil as it was on sale, and figured hell, if it's raw, it won't be tough right? I mean.. don't get me wrong.. I like my steak still mooing, but even rare is at least seared, yanno? This was raw as raw can be.. sliced thinly and laid on top of all the other ingredients.. then the broth was poured over and it "cooked" the beef. But it didn't cook it enough to make it tough as a well done London Broil will be.. nope, it was cooked just enough to take away the raw flavor but left it tender and amazingly flavorful. And the lime just added another incredible flavor layer that makes me wanna.. GAWD DAMN I WANT SOME RIGHT NOW. I'M SICK, I SHOULD HAVE SOME. SOMEONE MAKE ME SOME. PWEASE??? *sob*


'kay well I might not really be sick and wasn't I suppose to keep this short?? Jebus.

Alrighty then.. this recipe got a huge THUMBS UP from both of us. I have froze the remaining stock and can't wait to use it again. I am so looking forward to the quick version and then somewhere down the road I'm going to be roasting a chicken or two and will save the carcass to make the longer traditional Pho Ga, you can betcher sweet patootie. As a matter of fact, it's been decided that no longer will we be making our soups with store bought stock when it's SO SIMPLE MR. JENKINS to make it at home.

Jaden, huge huge huge thank you for the time you gave all of us at The Daring Kitchen this month. It was a pleasure seeing your smiling face in the forums and listening to you during the conference call. Thanks for so generously sharing these recipes and your new book (there's a contest.. 3 lucky winners will win a copy of Jaden's new book!) and we hope you stop by every once in a while and say HI! Oh yeah and once you've finished your 2nd book.. uhmm... we'll so test 'er out for ya again! :D

Kids.. buy this book. It's filled with gorgeous photos and amazing recipes. Check out Jaden's blog for the traditional Beef Pho recipe and the traditional Chicken Pho recipe. Also, check out the The Daring Kitchen for the Quick Chicken Pho recipe.. something to tantalize you while you are waiting for your book to be delivered to your doorstep. ;)

Oh and all of you Daring Cooks out there.. I'm not going to spill the beans right now.. but Jaden is going to be offering a new contest which will be announced in the private forums on Oct. 17th.. :D

And before I leave this "short" post (BAHAHAHAHAHAA) I couldn't forgive myself if I didnt plug another AMAZING contest being hosted at The Daring Kitchen from Oct. 10 to Nov. 9 - It's a cake decorating competition! The good folks at The New York Cake Convention and The US Confection Connection are giving away an all expenses paid trip for 2 to the NY Cake Convention Jan. 2 to the 5, 2010! That includes airfare, hotel accomodations, tickets to the convention and SO MUCH MORE. Check out the details HERE. This contest is open to the public as well as our Daring Kitchen members. Enter! You've got nothing to lose and so much to gain! :)

xoxo

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments on "What the Pho?"

 

Blogger Heather B said ... (10/14/2009 8:15 PM) : 

I definitely have to try the beef pho now! I went with chicken but your beef pho looks delicious!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10/14/2009 8:34 PM) : 

Sick, schmick, Flu, schmu!! You had better hook up a Pho IV drip!!!!!
It does look mighty tasty, perhaps you can unfroze a bit this weekend!!!

 

Blogger Hilda said ... (10/14/2009 8:47 PM) : 

So, I need to know, how does one get to be so funny? And as for Mr. Chicken Soup, he needs some training from my hubs who was sent out no less than 4 times to get me coconuts when I needed to make a cake, seriously. Train that man. =)

 

Blogger Andrea Meyers said ... (10/14/2009 8:54 PM) : 

Pho = amazing stuff. We did the chicken and loved it. Can't wait to try the beef. Great idea to invite Jaden to host this month. Did you come up with that? :-)

 

Blogger Audax said ... (10/15/2009 12:27 AM) : 

Wonderful you liked the beef pho so much and yes the raw steak and hot stock does give you lovely 'cooked' beef that goes superbly with this soup. Hope you get better soon. Lovely looking photos also. Cheers from Audax in Australia. Interesting about a new surprise on the 19th Oct.

 

Blogger mub said ... (10/15/2009 1:30 PM) : 

I did the chicken but after reading this post I really wish I'd done the beef *L*

 

Blogger Rose said ... (10/15/2009 1:39 PM) : 

Great job! Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well. YUCK! Pho is amazing for that though :) I can't wait to make more!

 

Blogger Menina said ... (10/15/2009 4:15 PM) : 

wow...I'm vietnamese and I ADORE PHO...especially when my mom makes it JUST the way i want it ^^

 

Blogger Lauren said ... (10/15/2009 6:06 PM) : 

Feel Better soon! I'm glad you loved the pho =D. Can't wait for the surprise!

 

Blogger Tanya said ... (10/15/2009 10:27 PM) : 

Love that soup...my hometown has a number of Thai/Viet restaurants that serve it and it is SO delish! Your pics look authentic :)

 

Anonymous veron said ... (10/17/2009 4:18 PM) : 

so sad you are not feeling well sis! Well, pho is the best answer for that and what a delicious looking bowl of pho you have. Great job! Get better!

 

Blogger Lisa said ... (10/18/2009 8:44 AM) : 

Lis, your pho looks so phoking good, and I wish I could have a phoking taste! I made the chicken, and loved it so now i'm dying to try the beef! I know one thing for sure, if you loved it, it's gotta be good. I've been sik too, so I'll try not to leave any herms on your page..lol Great PHOtos too! xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

 

Blogger Michelle {lovely little things} said ... (10/20/2009 12:26 AM) : 

I'm a pho fanatic - it's my ultimate go-to cure for the common cold (extra siracha!)

Love your blog!

 

Blogger Jill @ Jillicious Discoveries said ... (10/20/2009 6:45 PM) : 

This looks delicious and doesn't sound that difficult to make! Great post!! :)

 

post a comment