Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Thanks, Sherry!

Most of the food blogging world already knows, but we lost a dear friend last week. Sherry of What Did You Eat? passed away suddenly. :(

As a tribute to Sherry, many of us prepared one of her recipes this past week and are blogging about them today in tribute to such a wonderful woman.

I found Sherry's blog a couple years ago and became a fan from the beginning. She made me laugh and her recipes sounded delicious. And then she joined the Daring Bakers and we got to know each other a little better through e-mail. She was a joy to chat with and I really loved getting to know her through her stories on her blog.

I've many memories of things she'd said to me, but there is this one comment she made that had me absolutely rolling - tears streaming down my face and an effort to catch my breath.. it was regarding a certain recipe we were making and what a bitch it was. No one was having any luck and we were all frustrated. But she managed to find the exact right words to make it all seem not so bad - I have a feeling she did that often in her life.. helped those she loved and cared about feel better when they weren't in a good place.

The world is a sadder place now that she's gone. Fortunately, many of us have memories to keep her close to our hearts and we've got her recipes to keep us thankful she was such a great cook! So in tribute to that beautiful woman, I made one of her many recipes that I've got tucked away in my recipe file..

Fideos

This is a vegetarian dish that she enjoyed and was written by her favorite chef and cookbook author, Deborah Madison. The book she chose this recipe from is Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone and it's called Fideos, Dry Mexican Soup.

Fideos

This is a perfect recipe for a warm day.. it was easy to put together and didn't take much time in a hot kitchen. The changes I made were to use organic chicken stock from Trader Joe's, but adding the same spices to it that Sherry did. Since Hubbs loves noodles and carmelized onions together, I just mixed them into the noodles instead of pureeing them. And finally, thanks to a left over rotisserie chicken, I shredded some breast meat and threw it into the mix for a lil protein. I served it simply with sliced cukes from our garden dressed in balsamic vinegar and a lil olive oil.

Fideos

It really was delicious and will become a regularly made dinner for us. I thought about Sherry the whole time I prepared it and while we were eating it and I couldn't help but feel that she was smiling down upon us in approval.

Thank you Sherry, for the laughs, the insight to your life, the friendship and for my knowing I've been blessed to have you in my life, for however brief that time might have been.

Ya'll can read about the recipe on Sherry's blog here

xoxo

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments on "Thanks, Sherry!"

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (7/27/2008 1:14 AM) : 

A lovely tribute Lisa. Sher's sense of humour really shows through in her posts doesn't it.

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (7/27/2008 8:45 AM) : 

Nicely said Lis, nicely said.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/27/2008 12:46 PM) : 

I am happy the words came for you...
*Big Bear Hug*

 

Blogger Kalyn Denny said ... (7/27/2008 3:13 PM) : 

A lovely tribute to her. She did have the best way of saying things, didn't she?

 

Blogger Andrea Meyers said ... (7/27/2008 3:14 PM) : 

Hugs to you.

 

Blogger Faery said ... (7/27/2008 3:21 PM) : 

A BIG hug to you Lis

 

Blogger Astrid (…and the kitties too) said ... (7/27/2008 4:16 PM) : 

lovely tribute to Sher!
like you I am sure she is smiling at us!

 

Blogger Karen Baking Soda said ... (7/27/2008 5:14 PM) : 

That's what she did every time, insert a lightness and a smile. Nice tribute Lis!

 

Blogger Valentina said ... (7/27/2008 5:51 PM) : 

what a beautiful post.

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (7/29/2008 2:59 AM) : 

A sweet tribute my dear. She will be missed.

 

Blogger Deborah said ... (7/29/2008 2:34 PM) : 

Beautiful tribute!

 

Blogger creampuff said ... (7/29/2008 8:01 PM) : 

She was amazing! Such a lovely tribute, sweetie!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/01/2008 10:10 AM) : 

Hilarious post....

now, if you don t mind, your expression:

"I could smell the smoke from the firey depths of hell tickle my nostrils, I could sense pending disaster in the air.."

fits my golf game too well! I might have to use it

:-)


(Sally, non-blogger, lurker...)

 

Blogger Glenna said ... (8/02/2008 10:34 PM) : 

Lovely post. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. I know what you mean. She had such a sharp wit she could put you on the floor. Love it!

 

Blogger mimi said ... (8/21/2008 1:34 PM) : 

i did not know about sherry until now, but what a sweet tribute you gave her. this is one my all time favorite cookbooks ever, and what a lovely meal you made!

 

post a comment