Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Thursday, July 10, 2008

101 Calorie Springrolls with a side of 3908 Calorie Fried Zucchini :)

I figured the goodness of the springrolls would certainly outweigh or equal out the badness of the fried zucchini. Yes?

No?

Too bad.. both were equally delicious :D

We're on vacation this week! WOO HOO! We've done absolutely NOTHING! Not so woo hoo. We've had plans.. and then things have popped up totally destroying our plans.. we ended up doggie babysitting for 2 days, killing our plans to head out to some fresh air markets we've never been to. The weather has not cooperated, squashing our desire to get out on the lake.. BUT there has been no work so therefore, we are happy campers. heee!

Fresh Springrolls

One thing we discussed at the beginning of our vacation was that we had been straying from our Cooking Light recipe list the past couple weeks and that we wanted to get back on schedule again. So I've picked 5 recipes for our dining pleasure this week and being Wednesday, we finally tried the first one. Gah. Okay so being on vacation kinda takes away the desire to prepare dinner every night. Who knew? Anyhoo, we did try one tonight and it was another winner from Cooking Light.

Fried Zucchini / Fresh Springrolls
Please try to contain your jealousy over my hot pink styrofoam plates :P

Fresh Spring Rolls with Dipping Sauce was easy to prepare, I got to work with rice paper spring roll wrappers - something I've never done before, and they were incredibly good. Add to it, only 101 calories, 0.8 grams of fat and 16.8 grams of carbs for TWO rolls PLUS 2 teaspoons of the dipping sauce and I'd say this recipe is a keeper for sure!

Following the measurements exactly, this recipe does not make 6 spring rolls as stated. I have no idea how they came up with that number, because I got 12 HUGE spring rolls and still threw the left over ingredients into a salad. Not to mention, they called it "6 appetizer servings" - at the size they ended up being, using 3 strips of this and that and 4 slices of halved shrimp, they turned out to be as big as your average eggroll from many Asian restaurants. I could not even finish ONE of them. Hubbs had 2. We had 9 left over. Thank goodness we had some unexpected company show up.. they took the 9 home with them. :)

Ingredients for Fresh Springrolls

Crispedy carrots, cukes, bell peppers and bean sprouts.. I added a couple strips of spring onion as well.. decided against the lettuce and went with a small handful of baby spinach instead and 2 (size 26-31) shrimp sliced in half were piled into the middle of the spring roll wrapper that had been softened in warm water - then wrapped around the contents snugly. The dipping sauce was super easy as well.. a matter of juicing a lime and whisking in a few other ingredients. Once I got the hang of dealing with the sticky rice paper, the rolling went quickly and I had a dozen spring rolls in less than 30 minutes.

Delish!

Fried Zucchini on styrofoam plate :D

As a side dish.. heh heh.. we took advantage of the first harvest of zucchini from our garden. Most gals living a lifestyle change, would steam or grill the zucchini. Thank GAWD I'm not most gals. Oh hells no. I dredged each zuke coin into an egg, then flour, salt and pepper.. then I dropped those beauties into a skillet containing sizzling hot canola oil and fried 'em up to golden brown perfection! teee!

C'mon.. you can't fault me for that can you? I know Hubbs didn't.. if we weren't already an old married couple, I'd bet my last dollar that he would have proposed tonight by the look on his face when he ate the first fried slice of zucchini heaven. :)

Fried Zucchini / Fresh Springrolls

I've got 4 more recipes to go.. with 3 days left (can't count Saturday- we're headed out to my hometown for a slumber party at my soul sistah's house - I will not be held accountable for anything that passes these lips that night as I can guarantee after 3/4 of a bottle of vodka it will be a free for all)

***crickets***

Wait.

That didn't sound right.

Uhmm.. 'kay never mind. Anyhoo.. 4 recipes left - ya'll might see another post here again this month before the Daring Baker challenge. I KNOW! I'll be shocked too! heheee

xoxo

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Comments on "101 Calorie Springrolls with a side of 3908 Calorie Fried Zucchini :)"

 

Blogger Kelly-Jane said ... (7/10/2008 4:09 AM) : 

They both look lovely, I'm attempting to be more healthy living atm, not saying it's happening big style mind you =)

Hope you have a great time at the party!

 

Blogger Shelby said ... (7/10/2008 4:52 AM) : 

Both look delicious! Enjoy the rest of your vacation! (I'm sure you will as long as you don't run out of vodka ;-) he he)

 

Blogger Peter M said ... (7/10/2008 5:55 AM) : 

Fried zukes are one summer's best pleasures.

 

Blogger Laura Rebecca said ... (7/10/2008 7:19 AM) : 

YUM. Fried zukes looks delicious! And, I never would have thought to make spring rolls at home; how silly of me! They look delish!

Where did you get the rice paper?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/10/2008 7:31 AM) : 

OH I did that spring roll recipe too when it was in the magazine! You should have seen the rice wrappers sticky mess. I wish I had rice wrappers in my fridge :-( maybe I'll do "decomposed" versions?!

And the fried zuke looks fabo too. which mine would give up one....

 

Blogger Veron said ... (7/10/2008 7:59 AM) : 

I love spring rolls specially with shrimps , yum! And how wonderful that you get to pick the zucchini from your own garden.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/10/2008 8:18 AM) : 

Oh come on... surely the fact that you expended energy growing the zucchini lowers the overall calorie count?! Gorgeous meal!

 

Blogger Mary said ... (7/10/2008 8:21 AM) : 

The spring rolls are lovely, but I think I'd like some of that fried zucchini! And where did you get the pink plates? I LOVE them!

 

Blogger Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said ... (7/10/2008 9:05 AM) : 

These both look great - I figure if you make both dishes at the same time and "average" out the calories all in all not too bad!! YUM :)

Have a great rest of your vacation - looking forward to the rest of your culinary delights!!

Cheers
Cathy
www.wheresmydamnanswer.com

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (7/10/2008 9:25 AM) : 

Really, you think 3908? I like the idea of burning calories while you grow them!
Spring rolls are a staple around here: they stand in well for salad some nights. The rice paper is sticky and then you get the hang of keep it all wet . . .

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (7/10/2008 9:26 AM) : 

Love your spring rolls. Wonderful that Hubb's would propose again. He did didn't he? Well, he should.

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (7/10/2008 12:25 PM) : 

Hmmm I haven't made spring rolls in forever. Maybe when I am kidless next week I will make them for dinner. Or lunch.

 

Blogger coffee and queso said ... (7/10/2008 2:17 PM) : 

I must admit, I might have to skip the springrolls and go straight to the zucchini. :) And, dang it, I have a trip coming that involves lots of swimsuit exposure!

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (7/10/2008 4:47 PM) : 

I love cold rolls, I just made some a couple days ago, I added mango to mine!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/10/2008 6:44 PM) : 

Gorgeous photos! I had very similar spring rolls for dinner last night. But, before bed I was hungry so I ate 2 eggo waffles doused in Lyle's Golden syrup after being smeared with butter...likely a 3909 calorie bed time snack.

And, no vegetal content to redeem them like the fried zucchini. Sigh.

 

Blogger Lucy..♥ said ... (7/10/2008 7:35 PM) : 

I'm eyeing those fried zucchini's, ohhhhh my they look so good!!!

 

Blogger mimi said ... (7/11/2008 12:31 AM) : 

i have always wanted to make spring rolls, yours look divinely delish! wish i was one of those lucky unexpected company to get to take some home!

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (7/11/2008 4:37 AM) : 

Yeah, I am pretty much going with the fried zucchini my dear! Oh my, I ate that as my meal the other day when we went out to eat. Good stuff.
Enjoy your time off!

 

Blogger Claire said ... (7/11/2008 9:39 AM) : 

They both look delicious! I bought a bunch of baby zukes last night with the sole intention of frying them. Mmmmm

 

Blogger Deetsa said ... (7/13/2008 3:03 AM) : 

MMMM... They both look very yummy. I love the freshness of springrolls. As for the zukes, I grew up with breaded fried zuke rounds a good part of my life. Zukkies rule!

 

Blogger Camille said ... (7/14/2008 10:41 PM) : 

I love the spring rolls (and how colorful). They look yummy.

My husband is a big fan of the fried vegetable, zucchini, green tomato, eggplant..problem is, he is beyond fit and can eat as many as he wants. I eat one and I need to run a marathon. Such is life...I still eat them and have no guilt.

 

Blogger kellypea said ... (7/16/2008 7:55 PM) : 

Hah! I made spring rolls not too long ago and never posted them. Whadda dork. Yours are looking scrumptious, Lis. Nice wrappers. And those fried zuks? Mmmm...A nice aioli would be heavenly, no?

 

Blogger Olga said ... (7/17/2008 8:03 AM) : 

omg, it's only 8:00 am and now I'm officially starving. beautiful pictures!

 

Blogger Cakelaw said ... (7/19/2008 3:42 AM) : 

I'll take the deep fried zucchini - it looks fab, especially on the hot pink styrofoam plate ;)

 

post a comment