Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

My First Product Review!

About a month and a half ago, a very nice man, Daniel DeMoss of the PR firm Manning, Selvage & Lee, contacted me asking if I’d like to test a product from one of their clients. Specifically, parchment paper made by Reynolds.

Reynolds

I was very interested so I sent him my address and waited patiently for my package of Reynolds’ parchment paper to arrive.

'kay so remember how I said things were a bit chaotic back in November-December? Well, I realized at that time that I did, indeed, own a brain. But I only realized that lil gem after I had misplaced said brain so many times. Gah. And one of those times would be right after I ripped open the box – I forgot to take photos. AND I pretty much forgot to take photos through my whole cookie baking experience.. go me! But what arrived was a rather large round cookie tin. Inside was the sample of pre-cut sheets of the parchment paper as well as a few cookie recipes.

My first impression when I saw the sample paper was this:

“Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!”

Yeah, I know.. it doesn’t take much.

But I really was quite excited, because the answer to my parchment paper prayers had finally come true! Pre-cut sheets! No more trying to slice a sheet off the roll that comes in those flimsy boxes! Truly, that is my biggest pet peeve when I’m baking.. knowing I'll have to wrestle the box to get the paper out. Drives me cah-rassseeeee!

At that point, I decided to e-mail Daniel and ask if this is the way Reynolds was going to market their paper. Alas, he said no. :( It was just pre-cut for the sample, but I'd have to continue buying the roll from my supermarket. Bummer.

Well, I managed to find time to bake my cookies a couple days later (and by a couple, I mean 2 weeks later) and although I did not bake the cookie recipes that came with the parchment paper sample, I did bake for 2 days straight and I did use the heck out of that paper. I remember back before I discovered parchment paper and how amazed I was once I used it the first time. Not one cookie spot-welded to the cookie sheet. Now that was a beautiful sight.

Bene Wafers
Benne wafers awaiting the oven

So yeah, this wasn't my first rodeo with Reynolds' parchment paper. It's the parchment paper I have been buying for years. I love this paper and won't bake without it. But that's kinda boring and there IS something I wish would change to make this awesome product even better and that's… The packaging is not a good thing, as my idol The Martha, would say. The box is too flimsy to be able to get a clean cut easily. I understand that the paper needs to come in rolls for there are some uses when you need a lot of it.. but cookie baking is a HUGE part of the home baker's repertoire and I know I'd be VERY GRATEFUL for pre-cut sheets that I could just slap on my cookie sheets without having to wrestle the box, nicking my finger in the process. I also think pre-cut common sized rounds of the paper for cake pans would also be fabulous as well.

So if I'm thinking this, then there MUST be other home bakers who feel the same way, yes? No? Is it just me and my ease in finding something wrong with just about everything? Nah.. there are plenty of things I think are just perfect they way they are.

So here's where you come in, friends! Leave a comment about how you feel about Reynolds' parchment paper if you've used it. If you haven't used it yet.. run out and get yourself some, whip up some chocolate chip cookies (I can send my address if you want to get rid of them) and then chime in! It doesn't have to be about the packaging.. it doesn't have to be about something you dislike or wish that could be better.. it can be a big sloppy wet kiss because you love Reynolds and their rascally paper. :D Or not.. whot-evah, kids. What's important is that your opinion counts and Mr. DeMoss and his firm want to hear what you've got to say. So let's hear it!

A great big THANK YOU! to Daniel and MS & L for asking me to participate in this review. I enjoyed it and honestly am happy I could share my opinion. :)

xoxo

Labels: ,

Comments on "My First Product Review!"

 

Blogger Karen Baking Soda said ... (1/09/2008 8:06 AM) : 

Guess what my mom eeh Santa brought me? Pre-cut spring form paper rounds... all the way from Germany (so clever these Germans).

Now, if only I knew where I put them, then I might feel a post coming up

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (1/09/2008 8:12 AM) : 

No Reynolds paper here (we only get generic, store-no-name brand.) But I would love the precut sheets and rounds! If they come up with some after your review shows them how badly people want some, I will have to place my order through you and have you ship me a whole bunch!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/09/2008 9:00 AM) : 

I think I did used Reynolds brand before. But then I just used any cheap brand and they still does the job very well. It would be great if they do a pre-cut roll besides the traditional one.

 

Blogger breadchick said ... (1/09/2008 9:07 AM) : 

I use nothing but Reynolds parchment paper and I have exactly the same complaint here in my little ole Connecticut kitchen, Lisa!

I love their paper but HATE, CURSE, and DESPISE their box. I have to re-enforce the darn thing with packing tape to not have the ends come unglued before I use the whole roll and I never get a good cut on that razor blade thing.

So I would definitely buy pre-cut standard cookie sheet sized parchment paper.

 

Blogger Veron said ... (1/09/2008 9:27 AM) : 

I buy pre-cut parchment paper from Sur La tab . Not sure if it is reynolds...I don't think it has a brand on there. But I think my hubby gives Reynolds enough business with his obsession with their aluminum foil.

 

Blogger MLO said ... (1/09/2008 9:45 AM) : 

Two words: Kitchen Scissors. I never use the box for cutting my Reynolds parchment paper, it doesn't work!

I LOVE their parchment paper, too.

Now, the only problem with pre-cut parchment paper is for those odd ball sized cookie sheets that I found...

 

Blogger Bee said ... (1/09/2008 9:50 AM) : 

Would love pre cut parchment paper... The only thing the edge thing cuts well is my hands :)

 

Blogger slush said ... (1/09/2008 9:53 AM) : 

I love the stuff, but the couldnt agree more. My edges always come out jaggedy. I end up trimming with scissors, everytime.

 

Blogger RobynE said ... (1/09/2008 10:40 AM) : 

I agree. The box is terrible. I always end up wasting paper since as I'm trying to rip, more paper is creeping out as the flimsy box twists.

Please, Reynolds people! Hear us! Make the precut sizes or make the box stronger!

 

Blogger Mary said ... (1/09/2008 2:49 PM) : 

Actually, I find the Reynolds brand box is better than other brand boxes. The cutter on it works some of the time. But there's definitely room for improvement. And oh yeah, precut sheets and rounds would be awesome. I get weak in the knees just thinking about it!

 

Blogger M said ... (1/09/2008 3:24 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger M said ... (1/09/2008 3:26 PM) : 

I want to try! Shoot your address my way, I'll send you some of my famous chocolate cookies with peanut butter chips. Well... I just made them yesterday but they are slowly rising to fame here in my office. =D

-Michelle

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/09/2008 4:57 PM) : 

the box always falls apart on me the first time. The only way I can get a clean cut is to use scissors. It surprises me that Reynolds doesn't feel the need to make a precut version. They probably could charge more for them and it would make the customer happy. It would be so much easier!

 

Blogger Tracy said ... (1/09/2008 5:16 PM) : 

I love using parchment, although I don't use Reynolds. The brand I use doesn't have a good box either. The reason I use the brand I use is that the paper is unbleached, which I figure is an eensy bit better for the environment than the white stuff.

I found precut parchment once but it was the wrong size for the pans I had! Maybe that's why you don't see more precut ones. But I agree, a better box would be great.

 

Blogger kellypea said ... (1/09/2008 5:19 PM) : 

Nice job on your first product review, Lis! I LOVE Reynolds parchment and have been using it for years. The only time I don't use it is when I'm in a store that doesn't sell it -- WHOLE FOODS -- :( and I have to get the brown kind.

I didn't know they now have precut sheets. How cool is that?

I'm working on that meme you smacked me with right now, so you'll have to check kellementology to see, 'kay?

 

Blogger mimi said ... (1/09/2008 6:31 PM) : 

funny, i just bought another roll of reynolds just last night. my solution to the big horrible box it comes in? i chuck it! what's the point, it serves no purpose but to be a pain in the ass. i have to cut the paper, box or not, so i simply leave it as a roll in my drawer and cut the pieces when i need to.

you can, however, buy pre-cut round cake paper. if your local cookery shop doesn't have, i'm sure you can buy online.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/09/2008 7:11 PM) : 

Reynolds is the best out of the ones I can get here, not least because it's wider than the other brands. Reinforcing the box with packing tape has just become part of the process now. Please tell them I'd LOVE to see precut sheets offered!

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (1/10/2008 8:16 AM) : 

I buy pre-cut rounds at Sur La Table as well. Not sure I go for cookie sheet pre cut because I use the silpat liners but I might for some items. The box gives me fits.

 

Blogger Cheryl said ... (1/10/2008 9:29 AM) : 

I have Reynolds parchment paper in my kitchen right now. Works fine, no problems. But would absolutely love the pre-cut sheets.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (1/10/2008 10:07 AM) : 

Thanks for giving your opinions everyone. =)

I'm so happy to know I'm not alone in wishing pre-cut sheets/shapes could easily be found in the local super markets.

Sooo... if I really am a dork.. that makes all of you dorks too!! Yay! :D

xoxo

 

Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said ... (1/10/2008 10:38 AM) : 

I love parchment paper as a whole. It makes cleanup so much easier. I just baked some brownies and should have lined it with parchment paper but thought that to be too much trouble. We will see if they come out of the pan. I always buy Reynolds and usually have to have scissors on hand. It does not cut properly with the perferated edges...hence my stuck-to-the-pan brownies.

 

Blogger Tempered Woman said ... (1/10/2008 12:27 PM) : 

I won't bake cookies without it- have even professed this love on my blog. But I had to thank you for sharing the cutting edge complaint. I seriously thought I was the only dork who was spaz enough to ALWAYS end up beating down/ breaking one side and/ or cutting myself on the sharp edge.
I really love the idea of precut sizes. I could never understand why no one at least made 10 inch rounds. I have a sharpie and scissors in my kitchen for this express purpose. Nice write-up!

 

Blogger Anita said ... (1/10/2008 12:31 PM) : 

Lis,
First off, great review! Second, if you can find a professional restaurant supply near you they often sell boxes of full size parchment paper - meaning 24"x16" (BIG!) I usually just cut one in half and it fits my half-sheet pans or cookie sheets. I learned about them in pastry school and OMG it changed my baking life. No cursing the parchment because it's not wide enough for the sheet or because it keeps curling back. One box cost me about $60 with almost a thousand sheets - I'm still using the same box!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/10/2008 1:04 PM) : 

I would love to have precut ones for cake pans!! That is the part that I dread the most about baking cakes is having to trace and cut out the circles. I can manage tearing off the paper for the baking sheets even though it would be nice if the boxes were stronger.

 

Blogger Erin said ... (1/10/2008 1:16 PM) : 

While I have several boxes of unbleached in my pantry, I recently discovered that my local (non-chain) kitchen store sells pre-cut sheets in the size you need for a half-sheet pan. To give the folks at Reynolds how much of a difference the pre-cut makes, I haven't touched the unbleached parchment paper since I brought home my nice pack of perfectly sized pieces.

Now if Reynolds started making unbleached AND pre-cut paper, I'd be all over that!

 

Blogger javagirlkt's cookin' said ... (1/10/2008 8:23 PM) : 

I totally agree with you about the flimsy box issue! I cut my finger quite badly on a parchment paper box once and it bled a lot for a long time, not to mention the fact that it's impossible to wash your hands/cook/shower with a nasty bandage on.

So yeah, Reynold's, pre-cut sheets would be fabulous!!!

 

Blogger mimi said ... (1/10/2008 8:29 PM) : 

hey! just found pre-cut parchment for half sheet size... http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/landing.jsp?go=DetailDefault&id=5854
and this other size?http://www.amazon.com/Parchment-Paper-Sheets-13-18/dp/B000E7A6BM

of course, more expensive, but might just be worth it ;)

 

Blogger L said ... (1/10/2008 11:00 PM) : 

I use this paper ALL the time because I got tired of buying Wilton's parchment. I love it but I hate the box. I've split my thumbs open so many times.

 

Blogger Sara said ... (1/10/2008 11:08 PM) : 

I love parchment paper and agree - pre cut parchment is the way it should be!!!! Go Lis!

 

Blogger Emily said ... (1/11/2008 12:31 AM) : 

Yes, this was a good product review. I have no problems with their parchment paper. I don't use it too often, just because I forget to buy it.

 

Blogger Judy said ... (1/11/2008 4:30 PM) : 

I have a box of Reynolds parchment paper in my drawer and I use it frequently. I would agree that the box is flimsy and the paper tears off unevenly, but my biggest gripe is that it won't lay FLAT! Grrr. The flat sheets I use at school have spoiled me, plus they are easy to cut to any size. When my roll is gone, I will buy a pack of flat sheets for future use, so pass that along to the Reynolds people. (The world may be round, but parchment needs to be flat!) (Judy@Judy's Gross Eats)

 

Blogger Tab said ... (1/11/2008 6:40 PM) : 

I love love LOVE Reynolds parchmant paper!!! I absolutely dispise ripping off pieces. I would love to have precut sheets. I would love them in cookie sheet size, but I would love them even more in standard paper size. I hate cutting it to feed through my printer, I always cut it off a bit and end up wasting ink. If it was precut in printer paper size my crafting time would be cut in half!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/12/2008 3:03 AM) : 

The in-store bakery of a local supermarket might sell you full size sheets (20 cents per sheet); that's where my mother gets them.

 

Blogger Honey Pickles said ... (1/12/2008 1:12 PM) : 

I have used Reynolds parchment for quite a while and love it. I agree with maybe marketing some pre-cut for the more common baking jobs. I do hate the box and cutting the parchment to fit.

 

Blogger whozyerdanny said ... (1/12/2008 2:32 PM) : 

i have to agree the product is great ,the box is crap! i,ve used it for a long time for cooking and baking it never sticks and it keeps my trays in good shape. Lis tell them the box sucks....

 

Blogger Caribbean Dreamer said ... (1/12/2008 4:56 PM) : 

I also hate that dang box. I order cases of precut sheets of parchment paper to use in the catering kitchen and starting bring some home to use. Of course, they're cut the same size of a full sheet pan, but I just tear it in half and get more bang for my buck! LOL

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/12/2008 6:42 PM) : 

I use the unbleached type and so far have only found it in the *very annoying* rolls. When I used to use bleached, I would just get pre-cut from the restaurant supplies shops. SO convenient.

If Reynolds is smart, of course they'll begin to offer pre-cut. And preferably, unbleached someday soon.

 

Blogger Tricia said ... (1/12/2008 9:10 PM) : 

i love reynolds paper and totally agree with you. the box sucks!! i try to rip it and have to hold it so tight and it folds under and i end up with an uneven rip and i get mad and then i have a huuuuuge piece but too small to actually cut in half and i'm so frustrated...*deep cleansing breath, hold and exhale* but i love reynold's parchment paper. i really do.

 

Blogger Deborah said ... (1/13/2008 1:41 PM) : 

This is the brand I use, and I agree - they need the pre-cut sheets!! The biggest thing I don't like about this brand (actually, the only thing) is that I always have to cut it to fit the cookie sheets, and it would save so much time if they were pre-cut!

 

Blogger Katie Zeller said ... (1/13/2008 4:00 PM) : 

If you get them sorted out about the parchment paper can you tackle the cling film boxes next?

 

Blogger Helene said ... (1/13/2008 4:24 PM) : 

Add me to the list of people who find the box to be an asspain! I now get big baking sheets from a restaurant supply store or from ebay. I get a ton, but they keep forever and no more swearing at the box! I really wish the folks at Reynolds would make their precut sheets available everywhere!

 

Blogger Elle said ... (1/14/2008 10:55 PM) : 

Yes, I love their parchment paper and I agree about the box...but I just cut mine across with scissors and fagettabout using the box cutter thingy.
Pre-cut cookie sheet size and at least 9" round sheets would be perfect. That can't be too hard. They have pre-cut pieces of Reynolds foil now...why not parchment? It would be great if the pre-cuts were also packaged FLAT.
The benne wafer cookies bring back memories...my Dad loved them.
Next time I make chocolate chip cookies I'll send you some...but that way you don't get the great smell they make in the kitchen.

 

Blogger Elle said ... (1/14/2008 10:57 PM) : 

Yes..love their parchment
2. I use scissors to cut it...not the box
3. Pre-cut would be fabulous...cookie sheet size and 9" rounds for cakes, too.
4. Pre-cut should come packaged flat.
5 Those beneseed cookies remind me of my Dad - he loved 'em

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/18/2008 11:18 PM) : 

Every single time I use my Reynolds parchment paper i think the same thing... it sure would be nice if this came pre-cut! Especially in rounds. Would that be a beautiful thing?

 

Blogger Gigi said ... (1/20/2008 8:26 PM) : 

I got the same package from Mr. DeMoss. I buy my parchment paper from restaurant supply stores. Why? better quality, much cheaper, and ....precut into a couple of different sizes. I had the same problems you did. Until I asked a chef friend of mine and he showed me the light.

 

post a comment