Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Swiss Steak and an Update

Hey ya'll!

Have I told you lately that you guys are looking SPECTACULAR this holiday season? Well you do! Sexy and saucy.. How can you people stand yourselves? ;)

heee!

Quick update.. my mom is getting better and better each day, I'm happy to say! The nurse is only visiting once a week now and her physical therapy is going well. She's able to walk around her apartment without getting winded. Yay!

We've a bit of a scare to deal with as of late.. the cardiac guy has ordered an ultrasound on her carotid artery, because he thinks there might be a blockage there as well. We're hoping not, of course, but I'm pretty sure (I think??) that unblocking a carotid is a relatively simple procedure, yes? But we won't know anything until she gets her results back on Tuesday - so keep your fingers crossed, pretty please! Also.. FISH. Dear sweet Jebus, kids start eating more fish and vegetables! Put down that greasy burger!! Fakkin cholesterol is a total biatch. Sheesh.

Ugh, I just heard my cat hork up a hairball.

Just thought I'd share the visual with ya'll.

Anyhoo.. now that I've grossed yous out, let's talk Swiss Steak! Mmm mmm good!

I'm keeping this brief.. basically because I made it over a month ago so that "brand new recipe" excitement has kinda dwindled. Yanno? But it was quite excellent in both taste and tenderness, so give this a try!

And you know what?? Just how has the love of my life, the apple of my eye, the cream in my coffee, Ms. Paula Deen NOT had a myocardial infarction? Now I'm kinda hoping she only guzzles butter for the cameras but ingests only olive oil in her "real life".. Paula!! Everything in moderation, ya hear? I don't know if I could live a proper life without being able to watch new episodes of Paula's Home Cooking!

Where was I?

Ahhh yes.. Swiss Steak. As per usual I found the recipe on Recipezaar and as per usual I tweaked it to our liking. Hubbs helped me with this recipe and I think he got a lil too much enjoyment out of it..

Swiss Steak
My man.. pounding his meat. :D

Here's the recipe, with my changes:

Swiss Steak
Swiss Steak
Courtesy of Karen from Colorado and Recipezaar
Original recipe here

Makes 6 Servings

1 1/2 lbs. beef round steak, cut 3/4 inch thick
2 TBS. flour
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. pepper
3 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. olive oil
1 (16 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes, with juice
1 small Spanish onion, sliced
3 stalks celery, sliced
2 medium carrots, sliced
4 Portabella mushroom caps, sliced
1 TBS. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 c. red wine - (I used Pino Noir)
1/4 to 1/2 c. hot beef stock
1 to 2 TBS. cornstarch
Hot cooked noodles, mashed potatoes or hot cooked rice - (I omitted all of it and just served it by itself with garlic bread and salad.)

Cut meat into 6 serving pieces.

Combine flour, salt, mustard, pepper, and garlic powder.

Swiss Steak

Pound 2 T. of the flour mixture into the meat. Brown the meat in the olive oil on both sides. Drain off excess fat.

Swiss Steak

Add undrained tomatoes, onion, celery, carrots, Worcestershire sauce and red wine. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes then add the portabello mushrooms and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes or until meat is tender.

Swiss Steak

Remove meat to a serving platter and keep warm. Combine 1/4 to 1/2 c. (depending on how much juice you already have in the skillet) hot beef stock and the 1 to 2 TBS. cornstarch, whisking until there are no lumps. (The original recipe calls for 3 TBS. of flour - using the last TBS. to thicken the sauce with water, not beef stock. I have never ever had luck thickening sauces with flour, so I always use cornstarch.. and I figured why use water when I can add stock to give it more depth, yanno? If you do go my way, heat the stock as it makes it easier to get the lumps out of the cornstarch when mixing.) Stir into tomato mixture until thick and bubbly. Place the meat back in with tomato mixture.

Serve meat and sauce with hot cooked noodles or rice. Or by itself. ;)

Crock pot directions:
Prepare swiss steak as above except cut meat to fit your crock pot.

After browning meat, transfer to crock pot. Stir remaining flour into pan drippings in the skillet. Stir in the remaining ingredients and cook until thick and bubbly.
Pour over meat in the crock pot. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Serve with hot cooked noodles or rice.

Oven directions:
Place meat in a baking dish. Cover with thickened drippings and veggies as above.
Bake, uncovered, in a 350ยบ F. oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Serve with hot noodles or rice.

Swiss Steak

Enjoy!
xoxo

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Swiss Steak and an Update"

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (12/15/2007 9:16 AM) : 

Looks great Lis!
Glad to hear you mother is doing better! Keeping my fingers crossed on the blockage part as well!

 

Blogger Mary said ... (12/15/2007 11:40 AM) : 

Well that looks yummy!
I'm happy to hear things are looking up with your mom. We've been praying for you. From what I understand removing blockage is pretty straightforward. Good Luck!

 

Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said ... (12/15/2007 11:51 AM) : 

So glad to hear that your mom is doing well. The Swiss steak looks delicious, and comforting for the cold weather we're (finally) having here in Rhode Island.

 

Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said ... (12/15/2007 12:28 PM) : 

So hapy to hear that your mom is doing better. A speedy recovery! Also the Swiss steak looks amazing and certainly droolworthy!

 

Blogger Sheltie Girl said ... (12/15/2007 1:58 PM) : 

The swiss steak look fabulous...I think I'll need to try this out on my family.

I'm sorry to hear about your Mom and I hope she gets better soon. I'll keep her in my prayers.

Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (12/15/2007 4:04 PM) : 

Delighted your mom is improving and I'm sure she's happier home and able to be up!
The steak looks grand.

 

Blogger Helene said ... (12/15/2007 10:46 PM) : 

I love the way you tell me to eat more fish and then show me this mouth watering recipe...you are so gonna get yelled at!!
Thinking about you and La Mama everyday. :)

 

Blogger glamah16 said ... (12/16/2007 12:51 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger glamah16 said ... (12/16/2007 12:53 PM) : 

I am happy your Mom is improving. I know its rough. I agree about the fish, But who can resist Swiss Steak! At least its lean. :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/16/2007 2:33 PM) : 

Lis, the swiss steak looks delicious! I'm keeping your mom and your family in my prayers.

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (12/16/2007 5:53 PM) : 

Glad to hear that your mom is doing better. Never a fun thing to go through.
My husband will beg me to make this for him!

 

Blogger Chris said ... (12/16/2007 8:38 PM) : 

Sho' does look tasty! :) I am glad to hear you mom is going better. I have been thinking of you over there. Your family remains in my thoughts wishing you well and a your mom a speedy recovery.

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (12/17/2007 12:57 AM) : 

Glad your Mum is doing well.

 

Blogger Patricia Scarpin said ... (12/17/2007 12:48 PM) : 

My dear Lis,
I'm glad to hear good news about your mom. My heart is with you, sweetie.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/17/2007 4:16 PM) : 

I'm glad to hear Mom is on the road to recovery. And the swiss steak looks mighty fine too.

If Mom survived all this she'll handle the angioplasty (like that big word?)standing on her head. My Hubs has had 2 and is due for a third.

Best of luck and happy holidays!

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (12/17/2007 5:25 PM) : 

Glad to hear your mom is doing better. I'll keep my fingers crossed that there's no blockage.

You Swiss steaks looks delish!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/17/2007 5:55 PM) : 

Fingers are crossed--Hope your mom gets better pronto!

(And the steaks look mouth-watering)

 

Blogger kellypea said ... (12/17/2007 11:42 PM) : 

Hearts to you for your mom, Lis...

You are a woman after MY own heart. Where else can I get scrumptious info on one of my huzbink's favorite recipes and a hairball horking cat? Hmmmm?

 

Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said ... (12/18/2007 3:32 AM) : 

Best wishes for your mum Lis, >Got my fingers crossed for her. The Swiss steaks do look great! YOu always make me laugh and drool at the same time - how do you do that?

 

Blogger Marie Rayner said ... (12/19/2007 2:41 AM) : 

Fabulous looking swiss steak! I know Karen well and she has some good recipes to be sure! So glad to hear your mum is doing better! Happy Christmas to you and yours!

 

Blogger Chibog in Chief said ... (12/19/2007 4:48 AM) : 

im glad to hear your mom is doing well!! thats a great news to celebrate!!

ps, the swiss steak looks really divine!!

 

Blogger Veron said ... (12/19/2007 11:13 AM) : 

oh my goodness, that is one big dose of beefy goodness! And yes I'm devouring it with my eyes right now!

 

Blogger Deborah said ... (12/19/2007 12:14 PM) : 

So glad to hear that your mom is getting better. I hope all continues to go well!

This looks like a very satisfying meal! Yum!

 

Blogger Annemarie said ... (12/19/2007 12:24 PM) : 

the steam looks great, but even more important is the news about your mother. Glad to hear she's back on her feet and mobile. I hope now that it's past Tuesday, you've gotten the good news you were waiting for. Fingers crossed!

 

Blogger desie said ... (12/22/2007 2:34 PM) : 

great to hear about your Mum's recovery.hope you all have a fabulous holiday season.
great recipe here!

 

Blogger Morven said ... (12/23/2007 3:14 PM) : 

Yum that sure looks good.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and hubs. hope your mom is still doing OK.
Love you.

(I got a new laptop from Santa and I can receive emails but not send them! Gotta fix that real soon)

 

Blogger Madeleine said ... (12/26/2007 6:18 PM) : 

Lis: thanks to you and Ivonne for the challenge... so glad to hear your mom is doing better!! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/06/2008 7:09 PM) : 

Great recipe love it :) thanks looking forward to more recipes

 

post a comment