Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Why yes.. you DO look good in that garlic!

One of my most favoritest gals who just happens to write one of my most favoritest blogs is Danielle of Habeas Brulee. Danielle and her fiance, Dave are known for their creativity in the kitchen. They come up with some fantastic dishes that not only sound delicious but are rarely of the ordinary. Each post she shares features a fresh and new recipe, with a story of how the idea, and creation of, took place. I seriously look forward to reading each new post! I've even been known to try a couple of her recipes out and lemme tell you.. she's not just a excellent writer, photographer and lawyer - she's an amazing cook! (holy crap I haven't blogged about her Cocoa-Nana bread yet! DOH!)

Anyhoo.. when I saw that she has decided to host a one-off event called "Yes, Of Course You Can Pair Garlic With That!", I knew I'd be participating. The premise of this event is to use an ingredient(s) that you'd not normally associate as pairing well with garlic. It's a way to be inventive, to play around with you food and quite possibly, come up with something amazing.

Now the burning question was.. what the hell am I going to pair with garlic?

Garlic and Brown Sugar Chicken

Admittedly, I am not too adventurous in the kitchen. I mostly make staples that my mom or dad taught me, I chose recipe bases that are familiar to me - that I can almost taste before actually making it - and my idea of living on the edge is trying a brand new recipe that doesn't call for butter, mayo or chocolate. :P So I was pretty confident that whatever I did try, it wouldn't go too far out of my comfort zone - I mean, hell, I've got the Daring Bakers for that kinda recipe making right? Okay so not too far away from the zone but also something that I've never made before - this had to be a new recipe.. No.. not ice cream. No.. not lavender cookies with garlic chips. No.. not sweet and sour garlic - although, that doesn't sound too shabby. Hmm.. what about brown sugar and garlic? Garlic gets sweet when it's roasted.. brown sugar is sweet but not too sweet. Hmmmm... that's it! I got lucky quickly - I did a search for garlic and brown sugar on my favorite Recipezaar site and found a recipe for Crockpot Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken, with 208 ratings, and 4.5 stars I figured it's got to be good. I had also wondered where the hell have I been my whole life because, obviously, the old brown sugar/garlic combo was not a first. Duh.

Garlic and Brown Sugar Chicken

I did a couple things differently, but I doubt they made any difference in taste to the finished dish. I didn't have Sprite or 7-Up, so I subbed key-lime flavored sparkling water. My chicken was a lot smaller than the recipe called for, since there is just Hubbs and I, so my cooking time was drastically shorter - I think about 4.5 hours on low made my wee bird almost fall apart. And finally, since cooking in a crockpot does not promote crispy skin, I had to transfer the bird from the crockpot to a 450ยบ oven for about 20 more minutes to attain delicious crispedy, lip smackin' & finger lickin' good skin.

Garlic and Brown Sugar Chicken

This chicken was delicious but the garlic wasn't as pronounced as I'd hoped it would be. I even added an extra TBS. of minced garlic, figuring I'd make it super garlicky, but no.. not so much. I served it with roasted vegetables in a balsamic sauce and basmati rice. FanFarkingTastic. This dinner will be made again in the near future - with more garlic, a little less liquid and 1/2 the sugar. I have a feeling it will be perfect then.

Garlic and Brown Sugar Chicken

I think Jaden should make it and let us know if I'm correct. ;)

Check out Danielle's Habeas Brulee in the near future for delicious dishes featuring lots of garlic and lots of.. stuff.. that doesn't normally pair up with garlic! Yeah!!

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Why yes.. you DO look good in that garlic!"

 

Blogger SteamyKitchen said ... (9/27/2007 12:34 PM) : 

WOW - I can taste it already!!!!
I am definitely going to try this...I have a huge crockpot stowed away in the garage just begging to be used.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/27/2007 2:27 PM) : 

Hi Sis! That chicken look as you would say FanFarkingtastic! I am so trying this! I use 7-up a lot in marinating pork dishes. Hm...7-up, garlic and soy? Sounds like a recipe from the philippines. Instead of mincing the garlic , I wonder if crushing it would be better- and just use the whole bulb next time!

 

Blogger Deborah said ... (9/27/2007 2:44 PM) : 

I'll try anything with garlic in it, so I'm looking forward to all of the garlic dishes!! This looks a-maz-ing!!

 

Blogger Belinda said ... (9/27/2007 3:40 PM) : 

Lisa, this honestly looks amazing with a capital A! I love it. Your "wee bird" looks so tender and tasty...and the roasted veggies alongside...perfect! This is a very inspiring garlic combination...quite ingenious if you ask me. :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/27/2007 4:07 PM) : 

Oh, yum! This look great! Thank you so much for joining in!

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (9/27/2007 4:38 PM) : 

Yeah Veron's got the idea, crush the whole bulb - that would probably be about right! That does look wonderful excellent!

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (9/27/2007 6:33 PM) : 

That chicken looks scrumptous. Yes, I it is always a good sign when something has been reviewed that much and gets that many stars.

 

Blogger kellypea said ... (9/27/2007 6:54 PM) : 

So Lis -- you can see my tongue sticking out of your screen, right? Excellent. And a crockster recipe to boot. There is a god. I'm thinking a couple of those garlic bombs from Trader Joe's would be just the ticket. One can never have too much garlic, girl. This is going in my savory drooliscious hall of fame.

 

Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said ... (9/27/2007 10:35 PM) : 

Oh, yum -- I'm just about to buy my first-ever crockpot and I've been collecting recipes. This one is a keeper!

 

Blogger Helene said ... (9/27/2007 11:37 PM) : 

Wow...that crispy skin is just absolutely mouth watering. I bet the flavors were delicious! I am sure B. will be all over that one.

 

Blogger Marie Rayner said ... (9/28/2007 2:34 AM) : 

Ohh, that looks gorgeously yummy! I use my crock pot often, especially on Sunday's when I spend half my day in church. We always come home starving and it's nice to know dinner is ready and waiting. I'll have to try this garlic chicken soon!

 

Blogger Katie Zeller said ... (9/28/2007 3:26 PM) : 

Garlic and brown suger - yeah, that does sound good. And your chicken looks wonderful! I'll have to try it - without the crockpot...don't have one...

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (9/28/2007 5:37 PM) : 

Oooh yummy!
That looks like a perfect dinner for a busy day!

 

Blogger Julie said ... (9/29/2007 3:13 AM) : 

Your dish looks great! I was thinking about doing this challenge, too, but so far, I've found that all my pairings have already been done--garlic and milk, garlic and coconut, garlic and pineapple. At one point, I thought "Garlic and caramel!" Then I remembered that you did garlic and brown sugar, which is kind of similar. =)

 

Blogger Cynthia said ... (9/29/2007 10:03 PM) : 

This makes me want to go and buy a crockpot.

 

Blogger Bruno said ... (9/29/2007 10:23 PM) : 

Delicious looking meal Lis! I will try your final version w/ more garlic and less sugar. I can't get enough garlic... must be a genetic thing!

 

Blogger Brittany said ... (10/01/2007 4:20 AM) : 

Lisa! Your little chicky looks scrumptious! Oh My GAHD- That beautiful brown skin! It's 1:15 am and I'm hungry now. Thanks a lot! Ha!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10/01/2007 12:33 PM) : 

Lisa -

What I want to know is, how did you make those veggies? They look fabulous too!

-Laura

 

post a comment