Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Hey You!! Check Out My Buns!

I wonder how many post titles will reference checking out someone's buns today..

Surprise! It's the September Daring Baker challenge day! WOOO!

Actually this month, I made the challenge at the beginning of September - like a day or two after the recipe was announced. That's not like me, kids. Not only am I the Queen of Dorkdum, but I am also the Court Jester of Procrastination. True story.

So it was kinda cool to be the first of the DB'ers to get her challenge done - even gave my fellow baking friends a sneak preview of how they turned out. I was feeling kind of efficient there for a minute. =)

Here's the rub.. I don't remember jack shite about my baking experience this month. Do you know how many days ago that was?? I can't remember what I wore yesterday and I'm suppose to recall baking something a month ago? Shhhaaahh. As if.

The good news is.. I documented my experience - or rather the hour or so before I started baking - on our private Daring Baker blog. And yeah.. going back and reading what all happened slightly frightened me. I found it mildly amusing. And yep! I'm pretty much completely embarrassed. *blush* But this is me.. Imma dork.. there's no denying it - so I'm going to allow you, dear friends, to peek inside my head when I've had no sleep - am in excruciating pain - and have decided to drink lots of caffeine with a pain killer chaser.

Oh yes.. this would be the time to clear the children from the room.

Ready?

Sunday, September 2
Good morning Kmart shoppers!!

'kay that title makes no good sense but I have been up since 2:30 this morning due to the most exquisite FUBARED back EVER in the history of FUBARED backs EVER.

But do not pity thy pain.. this too, shall pass. Ugh. To compensate, I've had 2 pots of coffee and a glass of iced tea (it's now 6:30ish) along with some sinfully delicious prescribed narcotics! Holy crap I'm ZINGING. Right now? My brain is like a fart in a frying pan.. *ting* *ting* *zip* *ting*

What the hell to do with all of this chemically induced energy?? Why bake cinnamon and sticky buns, OF COURSE! Because this would be THE BEST time to work with yeast! I'll have conquered my fear of it and not even remember it in a few hours! PARTY ON, WAYNE! NO!!! PARTY ON, GARTH!! SCHA-WINNNNNNNNNNGGGG!

Okay so I've read the recipe about ELEVENTY kazillion times.. go ahead - ask me a question about it. Quiz me!! I KNOW THE ANSWERS!

BUT

I have questions :P

Firstly - The husband type person is going on a fishin trip with his brother today - therefore the unlucky bastard is NOT going to get any fresh from the oven buns. Everyone.. all at once.. "AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW" So, being the kind-hearted wife type person, I thought I'd freeze half the buns for him to enjoy another day.. So first question is.. do I treat this dough like my pizza dough and freeze it after the first "fermentation" and the cutting/shaping of the buns but BEFORE the 2nd proof? Or should I freeze them after they've proofed? I would think it's before.. ?

Secondly - couple things in the recipe weren't quite clear.. I'm pretty sure I know how I'm going to bumble through this as I doubt any of you more experienced bakers will see my PSYCHOTIC post before I get to work.. but I figure if I'm a tad confused, there might be someone else in the same boat.

But before I ask.. HI NEWBIES!! Welcome! Are you SO EXCITED over this month's challenge?? I am! I've asked Marce to have my babies because SHE ROCKS. Ohh and be sure.. your one half of the founding duo truly is not always THIS AWAKE. Fear not, young bakers. =)

Okay on to the other questions..

Firstly, or make that secondly as I've already used up my firstly question (see above)

Secondly, how long are you suppose to cream the sugar, salt & butter when making the dough? Until it's light and fluffy? Or just until it's all mixed together? (I'm going for light and fluffy but ONLY because it's a light and fluffy kinda day!)

Thirdly - The recipe specifically says to loosely cover the sticky buns before the 2nd proof.. but does not say to cover the cinnamon buns.. so.. do I not cover the cinnamon buns or do I cover? (hopefully someone will answer this burning question by the time it's ready to proof)

And lastly.. no wait. Thirdly was lastly. Sorry.

Thank you SO MUCH for your advice and direction.. I am forever grateful!

xoxoxoxooxooooooooooooooooooxooooxoxxoxooxoxoxo

UPDATED: Why does it say I posted this at 6:24 when my computer says it's 6:51?? ALSO and much more importantly.. don't forget La Festa al Fresco!!! DUDES you MUST attend.. we made favors for everyone.. those wee plastic shoe shaped lil containter type thingies - full of CHICKLETS. Yes CHICKLETS. Now how long has it been since you've chewed on a fruity Chicklet? I KNOW! Forever, isn't it?? Well if you come to the party your Chicklet cravings will be taken care of! Not that we're trying to bribe you into coming.. but kids? It's CHICKLETS. :P

xoxooxoxoxoxo

Posted by Lis at 6:24 AM


Aren't I preshus? Mmm hmm.. let this be a lesson to you all! DO NOT blog while hopped up on caffeine & narcotics! I'm pretty sure you can bake that way though - hopped up on caffeine & narcotics, that is. I have no mysterious bruises, cuts or burns to speak of - so it must have went well, yes?

So on with it..

Mise en place
You start by putting all of this stuff in a big silver bowl and then you..

Cinnamon/Sticky roll dough
apparently use this thing to mix it all up

Dough right after kneading
And then when your done, you get this ball of dough that you put into a totally different bowl - I'm assuming it must be blue? And then you leave it alone for a while.

Cinnamon/Sticky buns
Once you wake up from your drug induced nappy, you throw that ball on a counter top and use your rollie thing to make it oddly mishapen and flat..

har!
I did say oddly mishapen, yes?

Log o'cinnamon/sticky buns
Following the flattening and the sprinkling of the good stuff, you roll it up into a giant cigar like object.

Sliced log o'cinnamon/sticky buns
Next, you take your bench scraper and chop! chop! chop! chop! chop! chop! Chop your bootie! Chop your bootie!

Cinnamon Buns!
Then you've got some options.. you can put your pillowy rolls on a baking sheet (or pizza pan if you are using caffeine & prescribed narcotics) or you can...

'Raw
Slather a pie plate (or some thing with sides) with the dreamy caramel mixture and then...

'Raw
Sprinkle liberally with nuts and raisins - or be a rebel and use Trader Joe's "Golden Berry Blend" which includes plump golden raisins, tart dried cranberries and sweet, oh so sweet, dried blueberries.

Raw Sticky Buns
Notice the difference in swirl size? This was the 2nd batch I made - and apparently I decided to revert back to my pot smoking days (har! Ask anyone.. I smoked pot once and puked 4 minutes afterwards) or maybe I was reverting back to a previous life when I roamed the wild west with just my horse, Ethel, and rolled my own tobacky.. cuz these rolls are much tighter. :P

And then you let them sit there - doing absolutely NOTHING. And you can watch them.. but please, from my own experiences? I'd rather watch a pot of water come to a boil.. it's QUICKER. No wait!! Paint drying! YES! I'd rather watch paint dry.. it's QUICKER. So go curl up on the couch with a big fluffy pillow and a warm comfy heating pad and fall asleep for about 90 minutes.

After you've came to.. toss 'em into a nice warm oven for about 15 minutes and wait for the deliciousness..

Sticky Buns
The caramelly deliciousness..

Cinnamon Rolls
Or the glazed cinnamon-y deliciousness..

Amazingly - my back felt better after eating one of each. Go figure.

If you'd like to make these beautiful cinnamon rolls and sticky buns for yourself, you can get the recipe over at Marce's - She was this month's hostess and dear sweet jebus she did a most excellent job in not only picking a fabulous recipe but in being there for all of our questions and moments of panic. As was the rest of the group - how lucky we are to have so many wonderful members!! Prepare yourself for October kids.. we've got 80 new Daring Bakers waiting in the wings.. all excited to start baking with us! Well.. almost as excited as we are to have them. =)

Sticky Buns

Now fill the rest of your morning with more fantastic stories of cinnamon roll/sticky bun baking by heading for the Official Daring Bakers Blogroll and start clickin'!

Cinnamon Rolls

xoxo

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Hey You!! Check Out My Buns!"

 

Blogger Helene said ... (9/30/2007 1:04 AM) : 

I know to come prepared: no food and water before I read your posts....I might pee myself silly laughing like crazy!!
Once again, a great post and great buns to go with it! Hmm, hmm that sounded weird and I can see why it might get weird with al the posts...but oh well...Just brilliant!

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (9/30/2007 1:11 AM) : 

Well, like Tartelette I came prepared - no food or drink but what with this cough and cold I've got laughing at this harder than I did the first time, I did pee myself! Gadfry!
Your buns are just incredibly fantastic buns!
Yeah, do you think that will get old today.

 

Blogger Ilva said ... (9/30/2007 1:54 AM) : 

You sure take a walk on the wild side when you do the DB challenges, one would think that baking is a quiet and even slightly boring activity but you bring a new dimension to it Lis! Speed on! xoxo

 

Blogger Belinda said ... (9/30/2007 2:34 AM) : 

Oh my gosh, Lisa! Its after 2:00 in the morning, I'm all hyped up about being a new Daring Baker, and also going through one of my common bouts of insomnia (Ambien waiting in the wings, thank the Lord!), and I have laughed and giggled my way through this entire post! You are just one of a kind, Lisa...and in the very, very best possible way. :-) Oh...on to the buns...stunning, fabulous, gorgeous, bordering on good enough to reach right through the screen and pilfer one. You outdid yourself, Lisa. Not only were you super efficient and ahead of the game this month, but you did BOTH bun varieties. And got picture perfect results with BOTH versions. Very nicely done. :-)

 

Blogger Anh said ... (9/30/2007 3:07 AM) : 

Lisa oh you woman!!! I can never leave your posts without laughing! Like Ilva said, we should call your the Wild Baker. Huh? ;)

 

Blogger Cakelaw said ... (9/30/2007 3:26 AM) : 

These buns look great Lisa! And your blog posts have to be the funniest in the food blogosphere - they never fail to put a smile on my dial :)

 

Blogger KJ said ... (9/30/2007 4:12 AM) : 

Great post. Chuckles are abounding here as always. Your buns look terrific.

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (9/30/2007 4:19 AM) : 

Well done. And way to get them done early...I'm impressed.
Both of them look great but especially the sticky buns.

 

Blogger fanny said ... (9/30/2007 4:48 AM) : 

I just love the oozing look of the sticky buns.
Gorgeous.

 

Blogger Brittany said ... (9/30/2007 5:12 AM) : 

Lisa- You are freakin hilarious. And your buns are totally sexy--heh.

 

Blogger Hilda said ... (9/30/2007 5:26 AM) : 

They are fabulous looking, those buns of yours... ;) and I laughed just as much this time as I did the first time! I'm so impressed that you made those in that drug-induced state. I would never have been able to do that, what with the yeast-retardedness.. =)

 

Blogger Alpineberry Mary said ... (9/30/2007 5:31 AM) : 

I had to refrain from naming my post "My anaconda don't want none unless..." 'Nuff said. Word.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/30/2007 7:16 AM) : 

Okay! I'm crying over here!!! That was sooooooo funny. I mean I'm sorry you were in pain but seriously ... that was soooooooo funny!

Your buns (and by the way I always look at people's buns not just when I've baked them!!!) are ooey gooey good!

I'm so glad we founded this group together!

 

Blogger Nazca said ... (9/30/2007 7:19 AM) : 

You're a fruit cake. Luckily I like fruit cake. So did they come out nice and soft? Can I squeeze your buns to see for myself...? *snigger*

 

Blogger Amanda at Little Foodies said ... (9/30/2007 7:21 AM) : 

You're making people incontinent - it's so not good! After checking out your buns I'd say they turned out pretty fab, maybe caffeine and narcotics are the way forward.

 

Blogger Laura Rebecca said ... (9/30/2007 7:26 AM) : 

Hee hee hee!

Nice work, Lis -- as usual!

 

Blogger Laura said ... (9/30/2007 7:42 AM) : 

As always yours is the first post I come looking for and here yoy are in all your sticky glory. I made mine with only two days left to go (I'm afraid the procrastination crown belongs to me). Never a dull moment in the la mia cucina house.
xoxo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/30/2007 7:51 AM) : 

What a hilarious one, Sis! As always I have fun reading your posts as well as eating them with my eyes!

 

Blogger slush said ... (9/30/2007 8:57 AM) : 

Absolutely hilarious! You deserve your own baking show, seriously. And the buns, perfect! Both look sooo yummy! Does it make you think you should try the narcotic/caffeine/insomnia combo for next month? haha If it were me, I wouldnt want to mess with perfection! xo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/30/2007 9:20 AM) : 

Funny post! But those buns look great :)

 

Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said ... (9/30/2007 9:49 AM) : 

Oh Lis, you've got my in hysterics. I just love your bins baby!

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (9/30/2007 10:00 AM) : 

I so should have made both of them, those sticky buns look killer!

 

Blogger Chris said ... (9/30/2007 10:47 AM) : 

Whew....check 'em out...girl, you're buns are hot! And the Sticky buns brings the comment to a whole other level...hee hee! Thanks for the giggles....as always!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/30/2007 10:54 AM) : 

hahahaa i had forgotten about the drug-and-caffeine-laden post you made at the DB blog, it´s just as hilarious the second time around, i tell you!
But that your buns turned out that good even in that state speaks highly of your baking prowess. Rock on, sis! And I´m thinking next time I need to underbake my sticky buns a little as I think the ooeyness you achieved with yours.

 

Blogger kellypea said ... (9/30/2007 11:07 AM) : 

K-Mart shoppers? Bwahahahahaha!!!!!! And can I please have a front row seat when you demo the "farts in a fryin' pan?" We have GOT to have the same genes, Lis.

Gorgeous buns. Totally. The mix you chose to splinker on the bottom of the pan looks perfect. And I did get the tangy taste-bud reaction on those photos, so you are certainly a stud in la cocina, girl. Excellent. Like. For real.

 

Blogger Kelly-Jane said ... (9/30/2007 11:09 AM) : 

I'm sorry to hear you were in pain too, but you are so funny! :) and of course your buns turned out great :)

 

Blogger Rachel said ... (9/30/2007 12:10 PM) : 

The caramel ones look great! i need to make these!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9/30/2007 12:30 PM) : 

Love your post...and the original one you wrote too!! Your buns came out beautifully, so puffy and golden! Great job!

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (9/30/2007 1:11 PM) : 

Yes, I too came prepared with not a drink or snack near me so I didn't ruin my laptop monitor, but Tartelette might be on to something with the peeing ourselves silly from laughter!
Who needs to go to an expensive comedy show anymore - all we have to do is head over here and read what you've been up to lately!
Beautiful buns!

 

Blogger breadchick said ... (9/30/2007 3:40 PM) : 

Yup, like Helen, I saved your post for AFTER I had finished my coffee, my morning toast and cleared my "blog reading space" of anything that would fall on the floor when I started beating the desk because I was laughing so hard... Only casualty this month? LB, who was sleeping under my feet and got startled when I started laughing so hard and rolled back from the desk. I think he is still under the bed...

ANYWHO, Lis, honey bunny, you just so crack me up and as usual show why you are the Queen of Our Daring Baker Hearts as well as Queen of Dorkdum and all those other crowns you wear...

OH and your buns do look lovely too!!

 

Blogger Karen Baking Soda said ... (9/30/2007 5:46 PM) : 

Buns on speed...you did it! I drool on my keyboard looking at that last shot of glaze... Wonder why anyone needs buns.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9/30/2007 6:10 PM) : 

Your posts are always so funny. I love the idea of the berry mixture!! And your end result is definitely something to be proud of.

 

Blogger sunita said ... (9/30/2007 6:27 PM) : 

omg, that was so funny...but of course the buns were not:)...they look gorgeous.

 

Blogger steph- whisk/spoon said ... (9/30/2007 6:28 PM) : 

sweeeeeeet buns! you may not remember your baking experience, but anyone who read the DB blog will never forget it! at least you were with it enough that day to take photos along the way--that's good thinking!

 

Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said ... (9/30/2007 7:02 PM) : 

I'm still laughing.... and crying, because I don't have any cinnamon buns. With all of you Daring Bakers taking on this challenge, you'd think someone would have saved some for me!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/30/2007 9:24 PM) : 

Ooh the shots of all that dripping caramel and icing! Love the blow by blow account of the buns in construction also! :)

 

Blogger Thistlemoon said ... (9/30/2007 9:59 PM) : 

That is completely the funniest thing I have read in a good long while! Love it!
Love your buns too - oh yes, I really do!

 

Blogger Dharm said ... (9/30/2007 11:09 PM) : 

Lis,
What can I say - You've got Great Buns! HAHAHAHA! The buns look wonderful and a great post too! I was a little late with my post - celebrated my wedding anniversary over the weekend - but it is up! Great job again.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10/01/2007 12:07 AM) : 

You are too funny! I loved your whole fart-in-a-frying-pan caffeine rant! :) Both time I read it! And your bun can out gorgeous...both of them!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10/01/2007 12:41 AM) : 

Forgot to mention, my best friend had a painful knot in her back and after she ate the sticky bun she said it disappeared! These are truly back-curing buns!

 

Blogger Katie said ... (10/01/2007 1:53 AM) : 

Glad you got there in the end :) They look wonderful and very sticky

 

Blogger Dolores said ... (10/01/2007 3:52 AM) : 

Okay, I *thought* I came prepared. With an oven warm cinnamon roll and a glass of milk. Now I'm wiping milk off my monitor and keyboard. Consider that a success! :)

 

Blogger The Baker & The Curry Maker said ... (10/01/2007 6:21 AM) : 

You always manage to make me laugh, you're writing is wonderful. So are your buns hehe

 

Blogger Truffle said ... (10/01/2007 7:13 AM) : 

Your buns are absolutely droolworthy! Fabulous job!

 

Blogger Anne said ... (10/01/2007 8:38 AM) : 

Oh lis you're too modest... your buns turned out perfect! They are absolutely beautiful and I love the step by step photos. your sticky buns are a winner :)

 

Blogger Mila said ... (10/01/2007 9:27 AM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger Mila said ... (10/01/2007 9:33 AM) : 

Can't stop laughthin.. loved your post!! So funny!!! The combinetion of baking/narcotic it's just hillariant!!
And booth of theme are just perfect... I jus not participating in the september challenge but i intent to make then..they just look amazing...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10/01/2007 10:54 AM) : 

Excellent, you crack me up!
I loved checking out your buns.
xoxo

 

Blogger Proud Italian Cook said ... (10/01/2007 11:31 AM) : 

Lovely buns and funny post!!!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (10/01/2007 12:27 PM) : 

Thanks everyone! I am so happy I could give yas a giggle or two. Mission accomplished! :D

Oh and btw, all of ya'lls buns are just TOO SEXY!

xoxo

 

Blogger Rose said ... (10/01/2007 1:01 PM) : 

You're funny! Great looking buns!

 

Blogger Deborah said ... (10/01/2007 2:58 PM) : 

The Daring Bakers just wouldn't be the same without your sense of humor!! You always make me laugh! And those buns?? You have some mighty good looking buns there!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10/01/2007 4:18 PM) : 

Excellent. Delicious. Fantastic. Bye bye in France... Strasbourg.

 

Blogger Rachel said ... (10/01/2007 5:14 PM) : 

LOL! You crack me up. I hope your back is better.

 

Blogger monica said ... (10/01/2007 9:40 PM) : 

thanks for always making me chuckle! i love hearing about your trials in the kitchen. oh and you've got great buns, too!

 

Blogger Kirsten said ... (10/02/2007 1:33 AM) : 

Hilarious - and delicious!!! :)

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (10/02/2007 2:26 PM) : 

Damn! There goes the post title I was going to use tomorrow.

Oh, by the way, your cinnamon rolls look so mythologically alluring. I seriously want one with my coffee!

 

Blogger marias23 said ... (10/02/2007 2:47 PM) : 

How ooeey gooeey! I'm wishing I had made both instead of just the cinnamon rolls now. Love your step-by-step too!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (10/02/2007 7:18 PM) : 

It seems that everyone is loving their fun time with cinnamon buns around the world, Lisa! hehehe... The lovely thing about baking is that whatever you do, one recipe will create so many different results! I think that's the art of it, don't you think? That's what I love about baking.

 

Blogger Amy said ... (10/02/2007 8:20 PM) : 

Lol Lis you are too funny. :D Those buns look uber delicious, I want to lick the glaze off my screen.

 

Blogger Annemarie said ... (10/03/2007 8:58 AM) : 

Your in-progress post was great the first time around, and even better now that it's accompanied by pictures. And your horse Ethel. Nice looking buns, too.

 

Blogger Aoife said ... (10/03/2007 1:07 PM) : 

You're like an anthropologist reconstructing the past . . . but with extremely yummy results!

 

Blogger Julie said ... (10/04/2007 12:49 AM) : 

I love your macro shots!!! And your mise en place shot! I was wondering if anyone had tried just halving their full batch of dough to make both kinds of buns. Yours look gorgeous!These buns look so yummy--even though I'm not yet a DBer, I want to try making the sticky buns this month.

And dorks are fun! I strive to be one, myself.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10/04/2007 10:45 AM) : 

Well of course your photos look amazingly delicious, but it's the title that got me laughing! Never have I been so happy to check out a bloggers buns. You have lovely buns dear, lol.

Ari (Baking and Books)

 

Blogger Elle said ... (10/04/2007 11:39 PM) : 

Luv your buns! And the post is just as funny as it was on the DB site. Only you can make meds and coffee combined seem like a fantastic experience!

 

Blogger BC said ... (10/05/2007 8:47 AM) : 

That is the funniest post I've read. I am so impressed with your ability to bake under the duress of drugs!

 

Blogger Caribbean Dreamer said ... (10/05/2007 11:28 AM) : 

these look so yummy lis! I have a great cinnamon roll recipe too and I made them so many times when I first starting working with yeast that I got foundered on them. I'm feelin' the mood comin' on again thanks to your post! Good Job!!

 

Blogger Bruno said ... (10/05/2007 11:55 AM) : 

Great looking buns Lis!

 

Blogger Lindsay Blau Portnoy said ... (10/05/2007 3:13 PM) : 

Just dropping by to say hello and wipe the drool from my keyboard. I spent an exceptionally long time looking at the transition from dough dipped in raisin mixture to goopy goodness. I can't wait to try these out myself! I'm already in a food coma by osmosis :)
Happy Friday!

 

Blogger Andrea said ... (10/05/2007 10:24 PM) : 

Lovely, lovely buns, my dear! And darn it if I didn't wake the baby while I was laughing my buns off! You are a hoot and provided a much-needed laugh this evening!! Cheers!

 

Blogger Kristin said ... (10/05/2007 10:38 PM) : 

Hi Lis,
I checked out your buns and they looked fantastico! My sweet tooth is telling me to get something to bite into really quickly. I probably have to start baking again. Cool that you also have step by step pics, I will do the same next time.

 

Blogger Sara said ... (10/06/2007 12:41 AM) : 

Hey baby...nice buns.

 

Blogger african vanielje said ... (10/06/2007 11:13 AM) : 

Lis, the firt and the best. Your early post on the DB'ers site had me squirming trying not to wet myself, and your pics are amazing. not just the pics, but the buns. Mine don't look anything as good, and while it was late when I baked, I was STONE COLD SOBER (un drugged up anyway). Go figure, you must be a natural

 

Blogger Valentina said ... (10/06/2007 7:16 PM) : 

Your posts are just the best! and the buns..oh, Liz, fabulous!! They look absolutely D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S.

 

post a comment