Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A Favorite Blogger Recipe and I'm the Luckiest Gal in the World...

Well the beautiful weather, a hectic work schedule and a slight back injury (ugh) has kept me away from my PC for way too long.. I am so behind in posting and what's even worse, I'm so behind in reading my favorite blogs. I hate that! I will catch up though.. some how. hehe

I have been cooking and grilling.. lots. Mostly grilling - which I am falling in love with again. Thank the baby Jebus for aluminum foil, kids. What a wonderful invention. I tell ya, you just chop up some veggies, give 'em a lil sprinkle of sea salt & cracked black pepper, a lil drizz of EVOO, wrap it up and set it on the top rack of your grill and BOOM in a short time you've got perfectly roasted veggies. Ohhh and potatoes.. dear lord.. roasted to perfection, crispedy and creamy all at the same time.. Reynolds Wrap, I heart you! =)

But this post is not about grilling. Actually this is one of those posts O'mine that I enjoy thoroughly (no, not a kitchen disaster - much to my chagrin), it's all about seeing another food blogger's phenomenal recipe and knowing without a doubt that this one isn't going to hit the "MUST MAKE" pile, it's going to be made hours after you read about it.

There's a relatively new food bloggin' gal in town, some of you already know her. I've got the distinct pleasure of being her partner in this Salad Stravaganza fun-fest we've got going. Her name is Kelly and she's the author of Sass & Veracity. Kelly's cooking isn't pretentious.. most times it's not fancy at all.. it's the kind of food that assures your need for a huge glass of water after reading it because of all the fluid you'll lose due to the droolage. She's yet to post something that doesn't make me want to move in with her. By the way, Kel? Is that a possibility? I can pack up the pooches and be there in less than a week! :D

One of her most recent posts was all about her and her son making tortillas from scratch. A very interesting and informative read, complete with step by step instructions. And although that was all good, it was what she did with those home made tortillas.. she wrapped them around delicious pork Carnitas. One of my most favorite items to order when I hit my favorite Mexican restaurant. I'd never even given thought to making it myself.. until I saw Kelly's post.

I read that post early Sunday, and by 10:30 that morning Hubbs and I were on our way to purchase a pork roast that we could throw into the crockpot when we got back. Ya know, crockpots aren't just for Autumn/Winter. Which I'm sure many of you realize. For me though, when I think about using my crockpot it's for a rather heavy meal such as beef roast, chili, stew, etc. I don't think I've ever dragged it out in the summer before and how fakkin silly is that? It doesn't heat up your already inferno-like kitchen, you can spend 5 minutes in the morning, not worry about it all day long and then spend another 10 minutes in the evening and voila! You've got dinner. Perfect for those days when we are all about the garden and flower beds.. the last thing I want to do is slave over a hot oven or even a hot grill..

And so, I plopped my locally, humanely treated and raised, organic pork roast (Non Smithfield, I'll have ya'll know. *bastages*) into my crock pot with a lil chicken stock, a lil wine, some fresh herbies from my herbie gardens - dropped the lid on and forgot about it for 5.5 hours. When I came back in, the second - THE SECOND I touched it with a fork, it fell apart. Heaven. I pulled it with 2 forks, seasoned it a bit more with sea salt & cracked pepper and a big handful of chopped, fresh cilantro and diced green chilies. Another what? 3 minutes? sloppin the fixin's into cute lil bowls just like Kelly did - and we had dinner.. an amazingly tasty and filling dinner that didn't feel like we had just ingested an 80 lb. bag of mortar mix.

I urge you to whip out your crockpots! Throw in your protein and some seasonings - and walk away people. Walk. Away. Go and enjoy your day.. don't stress over dinner.. let the pot O'crock do the work for you. hehee =)

Huge thanks to Kelly for giving me the awesome idea (and courage to try it on my own).. now I can have Carnitas as good as what my favorite Mexican restaurant serves.

Pork Carnitas
Pork Carnitas

2-3 pound pork roast
2-3 c. chicken stock (veggie stock would work well too)
1/2 c. dry white wine - I used a Pino
1 handful each, fresh herbies - I used Thyme, Oregano and a sm. amount of Sage
3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 Spanish onion, sliced
Sea salt & cracked, black pepper to taste
1 lime, juiced
1 large handful of fresh, chopped cilantro

Fixin's
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 Avocado, diced
Salsa or 1 tomato, diced (I went with Chi-Chi's new Garden Salsa YUM!)
Shredded lettuce
Diced green chili (I used the canned kind)
Light Sour Cream (Daisy's - it's the best)
Flour tortillas, home made or store bought

Place the stock and wine in the crockpot. Rub the roast with the salt & pepper and garlic. Sprinkle the herbs on the roast and in the stock. Cover the roast in the sliced onion rings. Turn on high, place the lid on and let it go - ours took approximately 5.5 hours.

Pork Carnitas

Once the pork is fork tender, remove from crockpot, and shred with 2 forks or your hands, whichever you prefer. Add the fresh cilantro and the lime juice as well as more salt & pepper (if you so desire), mix and serve with warm tortillas and the rest of the fixin's.

Pork Carnitas

Ohh and I also made my favorite Banana-Banana Pudding, but this time I added a layer of butterscotch pudding over the banana pudding.. delish! :D

Banana-Banana Butterscotch Pudding

And finally, I couldn't resist sharing with you, what a proud, proud woman I am..
I'm a proud woman
Everyone.. meet Hubbs! Yesterday, he was kneeling on a particularly sticky tar & gravel roof, doing his thing.. well the heels of his work boots were covered in tar and when he'd shift back and sit on his heels, well yeah.. the tar got all over the seat of his pants. You'd think he'd come home and just take the tarred pants off and throw his shorts on.. but no, not my hubbs. Bless him. Instead he decided to take a plastic bag and lay it down where ever he was sitting. So each time he'd get up the bag would be stuck to his ass. After reminding him that he had a bag stuck to his ass about 40 times, I decided to keep my mouth shut and snap a picture instead. *evil grin*

Step back, ladies!! He's ALL MINE.

xoxo
Salad-&-Date
Just a reminder - we're a little over the half-way mark until the due date for submissions gets here! Your salad doesn't have to be just leafy - we're accepting any possible variation, as long as you can call it "salad". Potato salad, Seafood salad, Cole slaw, Broccoli-slaw, fruit salad, jello-salad, twigs & berries salad.. you get the idea. ;) Thanks! xoxo

Labels: , , , ,

Comments on "A Favorite Blogger Recipe and I'm the Luckiest Gal in the World..."

 

Blogger Rachel said ... (6/13/2007 9:35 AM) : 

Wow! I wish I had been invited to dinner!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/13/2007 9:56 AM) : 

Holy tacos, batman! That sounds mighty, mighty delish! Alas, I do not have a crockpot!! :( Would it work in a giant metal pot, do ya think? I desire this and I desire it now!

 

Blogger Cheryl said ... (6/13/2007 11:43 AM) : 

You are such a blast. I love it. I will try to keep myself away from your husband. Although the bag on his butt is quite enticing.

I never even thought to use a crockpot in the summer and it doesn't heat up your kitchen. This is like the greatest thing ever. I am going to use it tomorrow!!

 

Blogger Deborah said ... (6/13/2007 12:06 PM) : 

I have always wondered why I don't use the crockpot more during the summer. There is so much more going on and less time to cook, so it only makes sense!

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (6/13/2007 12:08 PM) : 

I've heard of baggy jeans before, but...

 

Blogger breadchick said ... (6/13/2007 1:27 PM) : 

I was going to make these this weekend!! Lis, you crack me up with the picture of hubs and inspire me to post a picture of MBH, who was nagging me that I never blog about him the other day. I don't think though I can top your picture!!
Hugs!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/13/2007 1:57 PM) : 

Oh boy, I just saw this on Kelly's blog this morning and here I come visit your blog...It's a sign!
I heart carnitas to the nth degree, you can be sure I will be making this soon!
Maybe we can both move in with Kelly...

 

Blogger Caribbean Dreamer said ... (6/13/2007 2:47 PM) : 

A long time ago, I invited friends over for dinner. I threw a roast in the crockpot before work with the intentions of coming home and adding the veggies. I came home, expecting to smell a yummy roast but instead found a still raw roast in my pot!! I had forgotten to turn the &^%$ thing on before I left!!!!

 

Blogger Jes said ... (6/13/2007 3:09 PM) : 

That looks amazing. Holy pig. And the bag on your husband's butt is hilarious!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/13/2007 3:13 PM) : 

Lisa, I'm blushing all the way to my next post. Truly. And your pictures are so fam-dabulous. And Lookie. You put a recipe, unlike me who often does that throwing together thingy I love to do.

You just pack up those fur balls and head on down. I'll keep you hooked up with great eats.

Uhh...your honey has a bag on his ass.

 

Blogger Patricia Scarpin said ... (6/13/2007 3:22 PM) : 

You are INCREDIBLE, my dear!! Too funny!!! :D

Poor husband, his ass being showed to the whole world... lol

 

Blogger Kelly-Jane said ... (6/13/2007 4:22 PM) : 

That looks so delicious! I'll have to go and read Kelly's now...

 

Blogger Morven said ... (6/13/2007 4:43 PM) : 

yum - I'm adding that carnitas to my must make list right now.

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (6/13/2007 5:31 PM) : 

Well, if that don't beat all . . . and that bag man's ass . . . well he's just a cute T.
Crockpots are realy amazing!!
Great post! Hope the back is on the mend.

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (6/13/2007 7:08 PM) : 

That is pretty darn impressive! And I don't even eat Mexican food and I would eat that!

 

Blogger Veron said ... (6/13/2007 7:20 PM) : 

forgot to say I like hubb's picture...he..he

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6/13/2007 7:42 PM) : 

oh i love the pudding!!!

 

Blogger Helene said ... (6/13/2007 10:59 PM) : 

You know what am I going to ask you to make me for dinner...I'll do te dishes and throw in a funny French song...!
W. is nothing like I had imagined...(joke!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/13/2007 11:49 PM) : 

my roast cooked in a crockpot never shred, they turn out terrible. what am I doing wrong? I have been told never cook on high. paper or plastic??

 

Blogger Kirsten said ... (6/14/2007 12:55 AM) : 

Ha ha ha!! That picture of your hubby is hilarious!! :)

The recipe looks great - the crock pot is our summer friend too...

Delicious!!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/14/2007 8:34 AM) : 

Wow, what a feast! I love making homemade tortillas now - they are entirely worth the effort!

LOL - and kudos to Hubbs for not letting a bit of tar getting in the way of everyday life and enjoyment!

 

Blogger Sara said ... (6/14/2007 5:36 PM) : 

Does he know you've posted that picture??? :) That looks so good. I'm going to read that post on tortillas, I made pupusas last week and now I want to try tortillas. Thanks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/14/2007 9:24 PM) : 

Okay,

I've got tears in my eyes from laughing so hard! Poor Hubbs!!!

I'm glad to see you back at the computer and glad to hear that you're feeling better.

I have to get me a crockpot. As always, it looks delicious!

 

Blogger tammy said ... (6/14/2007 10:03 PM) : 

You are one lucky girl. Carnitas AND a husband with a bag stuck to his ass!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (6/15/2007 6:44 AM) : 

Rachel - Next time I make it, you're so invited! =)

Ellie muh luv - It would so work in a metal pot or roasted in the oven. :D

Cheryl - I know, I really wasn't joking in the post - I never thought about using it in the summer and how silly is that! And yeah.. that bag sure adds to his sex appeal. har!

Deborah - Exactly. ;)

Kev - bah dum bum (rimshot) :D

Mary - I'm slowly working my way through catching up on the blog reading.. can't wait to see MBH!

Sis - I bet she'd let us.. maybe if we offered to pitch in with the housework?

Alison - hahaha! So sounds like something I'd do. :D

Jes - Thanks! And I agree! hehehe

Kelly - hehe I just threw stuff in too - but amazingly, I remembered still when I wrote the post. hehe He does?? xoxo

Patricia - Oh he's loving hearing what ya'll have been saying. ;)

Kelly-Jane - Would love to see you make this and get your opinion. Silly question, I know - but is Mexican cuisine big in Scotland?

Morv - Yay!

Tanna - It is, thank you sweetie =) How's the trip going? I can't wait to hear all about your adventures! :D

Gracie - Yay! That's so cool to hear =))

Sis - I'll tell him. ;) hehee

Arfi - I forgot to get pictures after we cut into it.. but it was AWESOME with the butterscotch pudding addition. =)

Helene - I'd love to make this for you!

Becky - Okay well.. you're probably right, high isn't the best to cook at in a crockpot, but sometimes I forget that. *blush* As for yours not turning out.. do you put liquid in with your roasts? If not, add some stock next time. If you throw your meat in frozen, I suggest cooking on high for the first 2-3 hours and then switch to low for the remaining hours. And the only other thing I can suggest is, after 4-5 hours, I'd check to see where it's at in the cooking process and add more liquid if needed. Also - aromatics are super important in crockpot cooking.. the more garlic, onions, herbs you use the better. I hope this helps! Let me know =)

Kirsten - thanks sweetie =)

Gilly - I know, I really want to make them, now that I've made the carnitas successfully. =)

Sara - I admit, I didn't tell him I posted his pic until afterwards, but he laughed and now he's asking me every day what everyone has been saying. hee! What is pupusas? I hope you blog about them!

Ivonne - Thank you sweetie! My back feels much better- just a twinge here and there now. Much better! Yep, I love my crockpot more and more every time I use it.. I highly recommend one - especially for a gal like you with such a busy schedule - any time saver would be a huge welcome, yes? =)

Tammy - Ohh you don't have to tell me. ;)

xoxo

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/15/2007 1:30 PM) : 

Well I think that was awfully thoughtful of the bagass. He kept everyone else from getting sticky~ kind of the cape across the mud puddle idea. To be commended!
Crock Pot it is, if I can find it
;-D

 

Blogger Elle said ... (6/15/2007 10:23 PM) : 

Would this way of doing pork work for pork barbque, too? I like the North Carolina version with shredded pork and a vinegar based sauce. That pork sure looks like it could be fixed that way. Yum!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/17/2007 1:08 PM) : 

Oh my...I love the crockpot and that dish is going on my menu!

Your dessert looks fantastic too!

 

Blogger sher said ... (6/17/2007 4:26 PM) : 

You did not! You didn't make all that fabulous food--and have that fine looking man walking around to boot! I'm really jealous here!

 

Blogger Deborah Dowd said ... (6/19/2007 9:40 PM) : 

A crockpot for carnitas- what a great idea, and none of that "what do yo want for dinner... no, what do you want... after a hard day of work!!

 

post a comment