Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

When You Can't Have Risotto

After a marathon session of catching up with my favorite bloggers yesterday, what I noticed was that there were quite a few risotto recipes being posted. Of course, when I finally got home for dinner that's all I wanted - go figure.

I couldn't even decide which recipe to use, they all looked so fakkin phenomenal! So my project would first be to make my list of these recipes and then decide which one I could make depending on what I had on hand.. I had narrowed it down to two but I was unsure if I had radicchio or a reasonable facsimilie thereof - so my choice would depend on that one factor.

Off I went to the kitchen to see which risotto recipe I'd be making and guess what?? I had spinach, I could use that in lieu of the radicchio! But then guess what else??

I HAD NO ARBORIO RICE. wtf?

Guess I'm going shopping today because I just couldn't bring myself to leaving the house again after my 8 in the dungeon last night. *sigh* So yeah, no risotto was had - but what's the next best thing? Pasta in a creamy sauce, that's what!! More specifically Campanelle in a Creamy Garlic Sauce with Baked Garlic/Herb Shrimp! WOOOO!! I found this sauce recipe on Recipezaar and it called for Penne, which I have but I was in a flowery mood, so I chose Campanelle (lillies) to use instead. I followed Karen's sauce recipe to the T except I used skim milk. This sauce came together quickly and my kitchen smelled absolutely divine. Hubbs kept walking in and out proclaiming "I love the smell of garlic" "I love the smell of garlic" (yeah it kinda got on my nerves after the 10th time).

Campanelle & shrimp in creamy garlic sauce

This was a very quick and easy dinner to put together, it was delish and we were both sorry to see that I had actually only made enough for 2 portions. ha! Figures.

You can do the shrimp two ways here.. I've always got shrimp in the shell on hand in my freezer - so I simply butterflied these and brushed on a melted butter/crushed garlic mixture and sprinkled some parsley on top, then baked until the shrimp was opaque and the shells were red (about 5 minutes in a 375ยบ oven) OR you can take a helping hand and if you are ever at Trader Joe's pick up a box of their Colossal Shrimp in Garlic and Herbs. They are wonderful - just as good as making them yourself.. and they were the inspiration for making my own last night.

Campanelle & shrimp in creamy garlic sauce
Campanelle in Creamy Garlic Sauce with Baked Garlic-Herb Shrimp

The following recipe is as I found it on Recipezaar - Serves 6-8
1 (1 lb) box penne or penne rigate, cooked as directed, drained and kept hot
2 TBS. butter or margarine
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 TBS. flour
3/4 c. chicken broth or beef broth
3/4 c. milk
2 tsp. parsley flakes
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/3 c. grated parmesan cheese

Melt butter and add garlic in a medium sauce pan. Cook over medium for 1 minute.
Add flour and cook 1 minute, stirring contantly. Stir in broth and milk and cook, stirring frequently, until sauce boils and thickens.

Creamy garlic sauce

Add parsley, salt, pepper and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Toss hot pasta with sauce and serve immediately.

Campanelle & shrimp in creamy garlic sauce

Hey! It's pasta! Therefore it's my submission to this week's Presto Pasta Nights over at Ruth's Once Upon a Feast!

Labels: , , , ,

Comments on "When You Can't Have Risotto"

 

Blogger Ilva said ... (4/18/2007 8:08 AM) : 

I think you came up with an excellent dish anyway, I can almost smell that sauce!

 

Blogger Susan from Food Blogga said ... (4/18/2007 8:33 AM) : 

What a stunning presentation! Your sauce looks so creamy and luscious; it must have been delicious.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/18/2007 8:35 AM) : 

This looks absolutely fabulous! I wish the budget included shrimp tis pay period, but alas, I'll just have to leave this in my "flagged to make later" pile

 

Blogger Gattina Cheung said ... (4/18/2007 10:13 AM) : 

this dish is insane! Insanely good darling! You butterflied those shrimps which look superb, at first glance I thought they're lobster!

 

Blogger puu said ... (4/18/2007 10:41 AM) : 

i'd say you did pertty well for yourself even without the arborio rice, lis!

i need to cook pasta more...

 

Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said ... (4/18/2007 11:08 AM) : 

OMG! This is another one of those dishes that I would like to dive into and eat from the inside out. Do ya know what I mean?
It looks incredibly, orgasmically, insanely goood!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/18/2007 12:19 PM) : 

Thats looks absolutely delicious! I love the smell of garlic in olive oil, but you may have heard that before ;)!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/18/2007 12:49 PM) : 

Hey Lis! Way to improvise - this pasta dish looks delish!

 

Blogger Patricia Scarpin said ... (4/18/2007 1:40 PM) : 

Wow, after almost being eaten by my own EGO - having my risotto mentioned here is pure joy - I'm able to comment. ;)

I love the way you made the shrimp, Lis!! I'm gonna copy that, if you don't mind. ;)

 

Blogger Thistlemoon said ... (4/18/2007 1:58 PM) : 

Wow, that looks beautiful! I love making dishes on the fly!
Hope you enjoy the Risotto when you finally get the arborio!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/18/2007 3:07 PM) : 

I love the creaminess of this dish! But the best part are those shrimps in their shell. Somehow they look so appetizingly succulent! And then there's the garlic...you are definitely killing me here, sis!

 

Blogger Sara said ... (4/18/2007 4:27 PM) : 

I LOVE GARLIC TOO! Lis, those shrimp are gorgeous. Great pictures.

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (4/18/2007 4:40 PM) : 

Those shrimp are enormous and they look amazing!

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (4/18/2007 5:08 PM) : 

Wish I'd been around for this dinner...but if that had happened you'd probably not have been able to finish because I'd have tripled the "I love the smell of garlic" comments.
Really great photos!!

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (4/18/2007 6:09 PM) : 

It is so pretty! I can't believe you always have on hand colossal shrimp in shell in the freezer.. This looks likes it hits the spot.

 

Blogger Dolores said ... (4/18/2007 7:09 PM) : 

Wow. Just...wow. I'm not sure I'd have missed the risotto... I find myself looking for a spoon to lick. :)

 

Blogger Claudia said ... (4/18/2007 8:03 PM) : 

WOW - that looks fabulous! Nice presentation, or plating as I believe it's correctly called. I'm showing anthony - maybe he'll make it for me since I'll make the dessert ;-))

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/18/2007 8:20 PM) : 

Quick and Easy? This looks like you were in the kitchen all day! Yum!

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (4/19/2007 2:45 AM) : 

Oh my goodness that looks so comforting...my thighs are expanding as I look at the picture! I could definitely dive right in...and this is a dish my husband would actually eat too!

 

Blogger Kirsten said ... (4/19/2007 5:43 AM) : 

SOOOOOO delicious!!! WOW, and pretty. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/19/2007 11:12 AM) : 

Your risotto it's famous. You are a real head-cook

 

Blogger Lis said ... (4/19/2007 12:08 PM) : 

Ilva - Thanks very muchly =)

Susan - It was, thanks!

Jerry - Just make sure that you do!

Gattina - Ohhh lobster.. :D

Puu - Thanks! And yes you do! There is always room for pasta :)

Meeta - Thank you sweetie

Monisha - har! Yeah.. I wonder from who?

Gilly - Why thank you, ma'am!

Patricia - Your ego should be flying what with a risotto recipe like that!

Jenn - Thanks! I know I will. :D

Sis - Ain't garlic and shrimp a match made in heaven? hehe

Sara - Thanks honey!

Bril - Yanno.. the shrimp really weren't that big.. that's why I like to butterfly often, make me feel like I'm getting more. lol

Tanna - hahahaa!

Callipygia - Well not always colossal sized.. more like the 25-30/lb. size - but yeah, always. We eat a lot of shrimp. Is that bad? :)

Dolores - haha you are funny!

Claudia - I hope Anthony made it for you!

Chris - Now THAT is a compliment, thank you! =)

Gracie - 'kay you need to make for your husband and take fantastical pictures of it so we can drool. :D

Kirsten - Thanks I appreciate that! =)

Pom - Thank you!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/19/2007 4:55 PM) : 

Oh, Lis! That is fantastic!I'm drooling here baby!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/19/2007 5:20 PM) : 

Ooooooooooo...Tonight's agenda: Making mousse, drinking champagne (it's in the mousse) and eating this pasta recipe. What phoodplan?

I did just get back from my walk, however and will now be sharing my sweatiness with the dentist. So I can afford the pasta. Garlic. Mmmmm.....

 

Blogger Heather said ... (4/19/2007 10:20 PM) : 

I am so not a shrimp person, but this looks really good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/20/2007 3:51 AM) : 

Oh my!!! Those pictures are like heaven! I want to jump in that sauce! :)

 

Blogger Freya said ... (4/20/2007 9:29 AM) : 

I would swoon over both of those dishes separately but together I think I would need resucitation!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (4/20/2007 3:40 PM) : 

Ivonne - Tanx yoo sweetie :D

Kelly - Ha! I hear ya. Now I'm very interested in this champagne mousse.. hmmm...

Heather - So easy fix - sub chicken.. would work just as well.

Sher - So did I when I was making it. lol

Freya - lol me too!
xoxo

 

Blogger Bron said ... (4/20/2007 7:46 PM) : 

Fantastic! I would be a very happy girl with that in front of me! Divine!!

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (4/20/2007 11:08 PM) : 

Thanks for dropping by Winos and Foodies. I look forward to you joining in a Tatse Of Yellow. That rissotto does look tasty.

 

Blogger Ruth Daniels said ... (4/21/2007 6:03 PM) : 

Lis, what a perfectly sinful dish. All my favorite things - pasta, cream sauces, garlic and shrimp. Thanks so much for submitting it to Presto Pasta Nights. I can't believe I almost missed it.

 

Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said ... (4/21/2007 7:02 PM) : 

Oh, that looks extremely yummy! Creamy pasta = heaven!!!

 

post a comment