Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Monday, March 26, 2007

The Cake That Had Me Seeing Red...

Acckkkk!! Updated! Author misplaced her mind while writing this post for the second time!! Please excuse the mental vacation!! I forgot one of the Daring Bakers (I need to be shot!) ELLE!!!! The gal who I always picture smiling!! I am so sorry sweetie.. EVERYONE CLICK OVER TO ELLE'S SITE RIGHT NOW FOR YET ANOTHER FABULOUS RED VELVET CAKE POST - HURRRRRRYYYYYYYY!!!

'kay well they don't call me the Queen of Dorkdom for nothing. :P


Red Velvet Cake

Know what time it is? Yep! Time for another baking cross-post - WOOO! hehee I love when I go all Arsenio.

Anyhoo.. we've got some changes this month, some new members and a brand new challenge. The first change is we've all decided (finally!) on a name for our lil group - The Daring Bakers! Yep, that's because each month is a challenge - we are daring ourselves to get over our baking fears, whatever they may be. The second change is something that I'd like to tell you about at the end of this post.. =)

Okay first off, I have to introduce you to our five SIX new members - starting with my dear friend, the beautiful Morven of Food, Art and Random Thoughts; next we have the gal who, despite a very, very busy lifestyle, formulated for me an easy recipe for a certain type of bread that I was craving.. uhh.. just because I was craving it! Bless her cotton socks! And that would be the very talented bread chick, Mary of The Sour Dough; followed by the lovely half of the duo who does their Writing at the Kitchen Table, Freya; then we've got the very talented and lovely baker from Canada, Jen; and last, but certainly not least, a gal who knows what she's doing in the kitchen and coming to us from Brazil, Valentina.

In case you are new to the blog the rest of the Daring Bakers can be found to your right on my sidebar. A lovely group of women, if I do say so myself! =)

This month's challenge is a traditional southern dessert, one not had by many of us.. the Red Velvet Cake. We kind of veered off the course this month and decided to use whichever recipe that we preferred, simply because so many recipes were suggested. So for all of you Red Velvet Cake lovers, who don't have a go-to recipe yet, you'll find many to choose from by clicking on each Daring Baker's blog.

Red Velvet Cake

Myself, well I had picked the recipe I was going to use back at the beginning of the month. It came from a trusted friend who has never steered me wrong in way of her recipes yet. There was only one small problem with the recipe and it was the frosting - I just wasn't sure about how it was made. And so, I went in search of a different frosting recipe. One of the first places I thought to check out was the Food Network's website to see if the light of my life, the apple of my eye, the future mother of my children, Paula Deen, had a recipe posted. I figured I couldn't get more southern than Paula, eh? Not only did she have a recipe posted for Red Velvet Cake and it's version of frosting, but it was her Grandmother Paul's recipe to boot. And so.. at approximately 5 minutes before gathering my ingredients to bake this cake yesterday afternoon, I upped and changed my mind. I decided to go with Grandmother Paul's recipe for the frosting AND the cake. Maybe it was a show of faith in my true love of all that is Paula. Maybe it was because the frosting had marshmallow in it. It could have been the 1/2 pound of butter in the cake.. or maybe it was because her grandmother had the same name as my favorite Secret Square on Hollywood Squares (he occupied the center square if anyone knows what I'm referring to). Who knows? But at the very last moment, fate took a different path...

Grandmother Paul knows her stuff! This cake was very good. It was moist and I could taste the small amount of chocolate in it. It was a heavy, dense cake though.. not sure if they are all like this, but it made me think that's why they call it Velvet - because it was very velvety on my tongue. But let's talk about that frosting. Holy hell.. I've never had a cream cheese frosting that was sooooo good. So good, in fact, that I might or might not have had to make another 1/2 batch of it due to eating spoonfuls of the first batch, possibly... nevermind, it was really, really good!! I had no idea the addition of marshmallow would make such a difference, but it did.

Would I make this cake again? Probably not - unless I was asked to bake something for a red themed party or invited to Shelby's wedding. It was a very good cake, but just not the type of cake I'd crave when I'm craving cake. Cuz we all know, when I crave cake - I crave The Ultimate Chocolate Cake, to which I haven't exactly found yet. But I'm happy with the experience, I've brought 1/2 of it into work and the guys are loving it, my mom is waiting for the other half and as always I had fun reading about the other DB gal's reviews of it.

I'm looking forward to next month's challenge already. =)

Red Velvet Cake
Grandmother Paul's Red Velvet Cake
Courtesy of Paula Deen, Grandmother Paul and the Food Network website

Cake:
2 cups sugar
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
2 eggs
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 ounces red food coloring
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon vinegar

Icing:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
1 stick butter, softened
1 cup melted marshmallows
1 (1-pound) box confectioners' sugar
1 cup shredded coconut (omitted)
1 cup chopped pecans (omitted)

Red Velvet Cake
Red Velvet Cake (crumb coat!) Red Velvet Cake
Look Helen! I did the crumb coat! hehee

Cake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter, beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition. Mix cocoa and food coloring together and then add to sugar mixture; mix well. Sift together flour and salt. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Blend in vanilla.

Red Velvet Cake

In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar and add to mixture. Pour batter into 3 (8-inch) round greased and floured pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from heat and cool completely before frosting.

Icing:
Blend cream cheese and butter together in a mixing bowl. Add marshmallows and sugar and blend. Fold in coconut and nuts. Spread between layers and on top and sides of cooled cake.

Red Velvet Cake

And lastly, behold our new logo!

orange

Is that not gorgeous? Are you not jealous? You are.. admit it. =) The Daring Bakers are an extremely lucky group of gals as the uber talented Ximena of Lobstersquad agreed to create a one of a kind logo for us. She also created a small button that's adorable as well - well here, look!

silueta

I, personally, can't say THANK YOU!!! loudly enough to Ximena. Your artwork has always amazed me and I still can't get over how you do this on a computer, when I can barely draw a stick figure on paper! heee! You listened to what we wanted and you exceeded our expectations in the final product. And a small word(s) of advice kids.. if you want your blog to look hella cool, I can assure you, you will not be displeased by hiring Ximena and allowing her to work her magic! She truly is one talented hot mama! =)

No no.. I'm not done yet.. sit back down. God.

I also want to thank my interweb Sis, the gal I share a brain with, Veronica - for commissioning Ximena to do this for us. We all owe you a great big loud THANK YOU!!!!! as well!!

Okay.. the moosh is over.. go start clickin on my side bar to see all the other gal's versions of the Red Velvet Cake, ya'll. =)

Labels: , ,

Comments on "The Cake That Had Me Seeing Red..."

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (3/26/2007 1:14 PM) : 

I've never tasted a red velvet cake and I always wondered if the small amount of cocoa actually turned up in the final flavor or if it only acted as the color booster. Your photography is amazing Lis. Armed with baking mitts and a camera--you are a force to be reckoned with! Congrats!

P.S. Does your tongue turn red after you eat it? :)

 

Blogger Barbara said ... (3/26/2007 1:59 PM) : 

A nice twist on the traditional Red Velvet Cake is a Red Velvet Cheesecake. I made one a while back and posted about it. If you want to see the finished product and the recipe, go to my entry on November 07, 2005.

 

Blogger Helene said ... (3/26/2007 2:07 PM) : 

Yeah...Amazingly awesome looking cake. That frosting is just staring at me in the face...nice rumb coating...doesn't make life oh so simpler when you frost the whole thing?! That is one heck of a tower of goodness. Go Paula! ...mother of your children...that was a little weird. Let's start by being a Blog Fairy Godmother shall we?

 

Blogger Alpineberry Mary said ... (3/26/2007 2:09 PM) : 

Cried like a baby the first time I watched Steel Magnolias. But your cake is nothing to cry over. And holy crap, butter, cream cheese and marshmallows in your frosting?!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/26/2007 2:16 PM) : 

If there is something I can say about this cake it is WoW. It does make for a showstopping cake with all its red splendor. And you made four phenomenal layers! I was terrified at making two. Great post as usual, sis!

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (3/26/2007 2:20 PM) : 

Your cake is ENORMOUS! I had to keep mine down to 2 layers because everything always falls apart when I go higher...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/26/2007 2:25 PM) : 

Lisa,

You're amazing! That cake is gorgeous and I love the pictures. Your photographs are really really good.

I love cream cheese icing as well but I've never iced a chocolate cake with it. Hmmm ... must try this!

 

Blogger Freya said ... (3/26/2007 3:24 PM) : 

That cake is stratascophically high ( I think I spelt that wrong) and it looks really moist. I think it's the butter in it. Great pictures!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/26/2007 3:35 PM) : 

Gorgeous cake! All those layers! The frosting looks really good, I have not made a red velvet cake yet, not sure I will either, but I like the looks of the frosting, I will steal that for other endeavors!

 

Blogger Cheryl said ... (3/26/2007 3:49 PM) : 

This is my 4th site looking at these insanely good red velvet cakes.

Now I want cake and want to re-watch Steel Magnolia's for the 800th time.

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (3/26/2007 4:34 PM) : 

Man oh man alive - that is funny to think of Paula Dean being the mother of your children!! I think Helene's got it, ask her to be your Blog Fairy Godmother!!!
I looked on their site and didn't see Paula's or I probably would have used it.
Anyway your photo's and FOUR layers just blow my mind! Wow!

 

Blogger Morven said ... (3/26/2007 5:51 PM) : 

Wow Lis - have you been taking secret photography lessons? I'm truly impressed. You've done a great job. Thanks for inviting me into the clan.

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (3/26/2007 6:31 PM) : 

Yes, a crumb layer is a must on this baby. Yours turned out wonderful Lis.

 

Blogger Canadian Baker said ... (3/26/2007 6:42 PM) : 

Holy cow! Your cake looks fantastic Lis!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3/26/2007 7:32 PM) : 

Paula does have good dessert recipes, and I would trust her for such a Souther dessert. Yours is beautiful and the icing looks SO creamy. I think that RVC is one of those that people talk about a lot but is not really that tasty. Like you said, it's very dense and doesn't really have much of a chocolate flavor. I made one once with raspberry jam between the layers rather than the icing and that flavor really popped! I would be looking forward to next month, too, if I was you!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/26/2007 7:37 PM) : 

I'm lovin these red velvet cakes! Dunno if I could actually bring myself to make one as the amount of colouring kinda terrifies me, but I'm happy to admire from afar :D

 

Blogger Valentina said ... (3/26/2007 9:14 PM) : 

Oh, it looks gorgeous!!! And you are sooo organized. I want to be like you when I grow up. For the next challenge I will try and prepare cake within 2 weeks. Then I will have time to change my mind if I want to , or even just relax.Now, tell me the secret of beautiful icing. Yours is trully fabulous!! Ah, when I read about the red tongue I did stick mine out and rushed to the bathroom to check it out in the mirror.

 

Blogger tammy said ... (3/26/2007 9:58 PM) : 

That's one beautiful cake you've got there.

My grandmother on my non-Italian side of the family was from the South, and she had a recipe for Red Velvet Cake. I made it and it was good, but I agree with you, not what I crave in a cake. Maybe you have to grow up with it, like me and my Indian pudding in the North.

 

Blogger Elle said ... (3/26/2007 11:48 PM) : 

I'm still smiling, and I love your cake. Four layers! Gorgeous icing, too. I love my cake & this one makes me want to grab a fork and come over to your house. Paula sure knows her Southern dishes :)

 

Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said ... (3/27/2007 2:11 AM) : 

I am so dizzy with all this red I am seeing! Lis, this looks too good. FOUR layers? I mean that is four layers of incredible cake. JEEZ!

 

Blogger breadchick said ... (3/27/2007 7:21 AM) : 

Lis!! Honey!!! Your cake makes my cake look TINY!!! and it IS red!!! And moist looking and THE FROSTING! Oh the frosting!!! And you even got to invent new cuss words getting the darn post up!!!! Thanks so much from the bottom of my heart (and stomach!) for inviting to join Daring Bakers. This was a blast and I can't wait until we see what we get to bake next month. Hugs and Kisses....

 

Blogger Patricia Scarpin said ... (3/27/2007 8:36 AM) : 

Lis, what a wonderful cake you made, sweetie!

This looks fantastic - it's so tall and delicious and... red! ;)

 

Blogger Gattina Cheung said ... (3/27/2007 8:50 AM) : 

"the futher mother of my children" *LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL*
I'm totally with you about your recipe on her recipe... but heck, I haven't tasted your cake, but your write-up is so excellent that my tastebuds are singing! I've seen Peabody's, stunning! Yours 4 layers! Drop-dead gorgeous! Go big!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/27/2007 10:18 AM) : 

Gorgeous, Lisa! I love following along with these - you are too funny!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/27/2007 5:22 PM) : 

beautiful1
Being from the south I know something about red velvet cake~ I could have been your tester. In fact if you'r like to send the other half to me...

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (3/27/2007 5:40 PM) : 

This looks great- and while normally wouldn't be drawn to something with so much color...I'd love a giant slice of it.

 

Blogger jasmine said ... (3/27/2007 8:55 PM) : 

I love the colour of the crumb...

j

 

Blogger Kirsten said ... (3/28/2007 1:19 AM) : 

Your cake looks perfect!! Great frosting technique...I noticed Peabody said it's not the easiest cake to frost. :)

I ADORE the new logo and button!!! SOOOOOOOO jealous of your new food-blog/baking sorority of sorts, just too fun.

Kirsten

 

Blogger Anuhea said ... (3/28/2007 4:23 AM) : 

mmm Red Velvet, the one thing that could make that cake better would be more chocolate ;) And your frosting is so immaculate!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (3/28/2007 6:38 AM) : 

Kev - Well to be honest I could taste chocolate but it was pretty faint. If I didn't know it was in there, I probably wouldn't have noticed it much. And thank you for such nice compliments :D

Ohh.. yeah no, it doesn't hehe

Barbara - I checked out your cheesecake! Holy cow it looked fantastic! I copied the recipe, thank you so much for letting me know. =)

Helene - Why thank you so much for the tips - the revolving cake stand made a huge difference and I couldn't be more happier with my decision to buy that layer cutting gadget. The crumb coat and chilling afterwards made a world of difference.. I'll never frost a cake without taking that step again! Thank you, sweetie! =)

Mary - The first time? I believe, no exaggeration, that when I watched it a few weeks ago it had to have been my 72 time AT LEAST.. and I cried like a baby just like I did the first time. lol

As for the frosting, like I stated I haven't had a better cream cheese frosting ever.. but, and this is weird, my mom didn't like it.. said she couldn't taste the cheese and I thought for sure she'd ask me to maker her a batch just to eat with a spoon.. go figger. =)

Veron - Well I didn't have three 8" cake pans and was not nearly patient enough to bake 2 and then bake the 3rd.. so I decided to cut each layer.. and as I said, by doing that crumb coat and then chilling it for a few hours, the final coat of frosting was a breeze. =)

Bril - That's the way mine always turned out, I figured after I cut the layers in half, that at the very least I'll have another Kitchen Disaster post to publish heeheeee

Ivonne - No, you're amazing =)) I have also made a devil's food cake with cream cheese frosting and the tang of the cheese with the not soo sweet chocolate is really quite good! =)

Freya - Thanks! It definitely was the highest cake I've ever made.

Laurie - Cool! I can't wait to see what you do with it and if you liked it or not =)

Becke - Thanks! Happy to have you aboard as well. =)

Cheryl - Ohh come over! I'll make it for you and we can watch the movie :D

Tanna - heheee I do loves me my Paula Deen =) Thanks sweetie!

Morv - Coming from you, that is the best compliment, thank you.. I so count on your opinions.. you rock! =)

Peabody - Thank you so much! =)

Jen - Thank you! :D

Claire - What a great idea! I think whoever does decide to make this after all these posts, really should heed your advice and use a jam between layers and the cream cheese over the rest of it.. holy cow that would make any bland cake taste wonderful =)

Ellie muh luv - You would have larfed out loud had you seen the expression on my face as I was dumping a whole bottle of the stuff in.. and I couldn't bring myself to 2 oz., just used 1 oz. and the color came out beautiful. =)

Tammy - I feel the same way.. I think this cake is more tradition than anything else. =)

Elle - I'm so happy you are still smiling after my faux pas!! God I felt like crap when I realized what I'd done. ugh. xoxo

Meeta - hehehe thanks sweetie =)

Valentina - har! You crack me up! To be honest, I didn't make the cake until the day before our due date (shhhh), so no worries about waiting until the last minute - and you didn't even wait, you had company to deal with =) lol Was your tongue red? hehee

Mary!!! I'm tickled pink you've joined us! You make the challenges even more fun! =)

Patricia - Thanks honey! And welcome aboard - I'm so excited! =)

Gattina - you are sooo damn cute =)

Gilly - Now you'll be joining in - I'm so happy! =)

Sher - What an honor to see you here - I drool over your blog :D Thank you for such nice compliments =)

Sandi - hahaha! I wish I had known.. would have loved to send you 1/2! Unfortunately between my mom and the guys at work, it was gone in a day. hehe

Callipygia - I know me either.. I was praying it didn't taste red, you know like some frostings taste red when dyed with it? It didn't, thank God.. but I think that was my first and last time using so much dye in anything. lol

Kirsten - Thanks! hey there's always room for more Daring Bakers.. if you think you've got the time.. join up in May =)
We'd LOVE to have you!

Anuhea - I couldn't agree more =) And thank you!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (3/28/2007 6:39 AM) : 

Jasmine - thanks =)

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (3/28/2007 7:22 PM) : 

Marshmallow in the icing? OMG I so have to make that icing!
Do you think it would be okay if I skipped making a cake though? :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/29/2007 1:34 AM) : 

Waou!!!! It's so beautiful all pink. Your cake it's famous. I love than congratulation

 

Blogger Lis said ... (3/29/2007 4:33 PM) : 

Jenny - I think it'd be more than okay. =)

Pom - Aww thanks for stopping by.. I wish I could understand your beautiful blog, I was drooling over your pictures this morning!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/30/2007 12:10 AM) : 

Hi! thanks for this comment, with all my heart thank and this language it's no a problem.
bye, candy

 

Blogger Heather said ... (4/01/2007 10:57 AM) : 

Lis,
Can I join the Daring Bakers? I would love to join in the fun.

Love the pictures, the cake looks delicious.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/31/2007 9:14 PM) : 

THANKS THIS CAKE WAZ GOOD AND I MEAN GOOD

 

Blogger Lis said ... (8/01/2007 12:28 PM) : 

Leandria - I'm so glad you liked it! Thanks for letting me know. =)

xoxo

 

post a comment