Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Friday, February 16, 2007

Honey-Gingered Pork Tenderloin

Hi!

I apologize (again) for the lack of posts lately.. I'd like to blame it entirely on the upper respiratory infarction I was dealing with for a couple weeks, but alas, I can not. I just haven't been inspired much to cook new and exciting(to me) things lately.. I've got the culinary blahs. *sigh* Hubbs has become the chef and chief bottle washer of late and he's made some interesting dinners. He even attempted a "Dorie"! Unfortunately the crust got burned and that took away from the rest of the cake, but I give him a BIG A+ for effort! You have to give the man credit, he's terrified of baking and doesn't attempt it often. God love him. ;)

In case you're wondering, it was his own creation of Dorie's Hidden Berry Cream Cheese Torte and her Quick Classic Berry Tart or Dorie's Hidden Berry Cream Cheese Classic Berry Tart-Torte. Mmm hmm.. Yeah, he wanted cheesecake and I wanted the berries I had bought to be used up.. so there ya have it. =)

Quick hidden berrry cream cheese berry tart-torte
Slightly burnt but lovely none-the-less ;)

Moving along..

Last night I decided to give him a break and got my arse in my lil kitchen. And although I have a huge fear of pork (yes, my dislike of most cuts of pork has turned into an all-out-terror because of this lil gem that about made me hurl.) I had pork tenderloin hanging out in the freezer so I figured I should use it up. After perusing Recipezaar, I found exactly what I was looking for - something sweet and savory with a lil Asian kick to it. This recipe boasts that it tastes like the lil BBQ ribs that many Asian restaurants serve. The author didn't lie. The sauce is very reminiscent of those BBQ ribs. And I even took a major shortcut by not marinating the tenderloin. I just seared the meat and threw it into the oven to finish cooking, while I made the sauce seperately so that I could spoon it over the tender pork medallions. I can just imagine how even more flavorful this dish would have been had I the time to marinate.

So the good news is, if you don't have the time to marinate the pork you'll still end up with quite a delicious dinner.

Honey Gingered Pork Tenderloin
Honey Gingered Pork Tenderloin
Courtesy of "FlemishMinx" and Recipezaar.com

The recipe below reflects my changes.

2 (3/4 lb.) pork tenderloins
Salt & Pepper
2 tsp. vegetable oil

1/4 c. honey
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/4 c. oyster sauce
2 TBS. packed brown sugar
1 TBS. fresh minced ginger
1 TBS. minced garlic
1 TBS. ketchup
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 c. chicken stock
1 TBS. cornstarch (or enough as needed) (optional)

Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 400º F.

Sprinkle tenderloins evenly with salt and pepper; rub seasoning into meat. Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until smoking. Place both tenderloins in skillet; cook until well browned, 3 minutes. Using tongs, rotate tenderloins 1/4 turn; cook until well browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat until all sides are browned. Transfer tenderloins to rimmed baking sheet and place in oven (reserve skillet if making pan sauce); roast until internal temperature registers 135º to 140º on instant-read thermometer, 10 to 16 minutes. Once out of the oven, cover loosely with a foil tent and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

In still hot skillet, combine the first 9 sauce ingredients with a wooden spoon, making sure to scrape up all the bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer for 10 minutes and then add the chicken stock and cornstarch (if using). Continue to simmer until desired thickness.

Slice well rested tenderloin into 1/4 to 1/2 inch medallions and arrange on plate. Drizzle sauce over medallions before serving. If serving this dish to guests, keep in mind the sauce is quite strong and might be best to be served on the side.

My Notes: If you are going to marinate the tenderloin first - place pork into a large ziplock bag or a shallow baking dish, whisk together first 9 sauce ingredients in a bowl, and pour over pork. Close bag or cover dish and place in refrigerator to marinate at least 8 hours, but 24 is better. Turn at least twice during this time.

When ready to cook, continue on with recipe as instructed above, using reserved marinade for sauce.

No no!! Don't go anywhere yet, I'm not done!

I need just another minute or two of your time to show off the bestest Valentine's Day card I've ever received before. Ya'll know how I love home made cards, right? Well feast your eyes on this masterpiece:


@}`~,~~.,

My sweet friend and fellow monthly baking clubber (uhh girls? We really need to decide on that name), Brilynn, made me this V-day card, ya'll!! I cropped the top of it where she writes that this card should get her into the dork club (Which I am President, CEO and Queen of) - which made me chuckle and also confused me a bit.. As I had inducted her MONTHS ago and made her Vice President of All That Is Dorky - apparently she didn't get the memo. huh.

Thank you, Bril! I heart my hearty homemade card! :D

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments on "Honey-Gingered Pork Tenderloin"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/16/2007 3:37 PM) : 

Oh my, the tart looks terrific! And I think your picture of the pork tenderloin just totally changed my dinner craving.

 

Blogger Brilynn said ... (2/16/2007 5:45 PM) : 

I'm glad you got it on time! I was on a real card making kick... my three year old nephew loved it!

And as for a husband who tries to make Dorie recipes, I don't even know what to say about that! A-mazing!

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (2/16/2007 6:27 PM) : 

The hubby Dorie cake looks spectacular to me! I am way more than impressed! That really rocks.
Now the pork, well the pork looks fantastic too!
You certainly came back with a BANG!!
Love the card!

 

Blogger Gattina Cheung said ... (2/16/2007 7:41 PM) : 

Cute and sweet cards!
Lis, for sure I'll use your gingery sauce, sounds too good to miss!
Oh boy, your husband really can cook, that's sexy!

 

Blogger Veron said ... (2/16/2007 9:32 PM) : 

hmmn...that pork roast looks delicious. Between this and Brilynns bacon I am starting to have a big craving for pork! Cute card too!

 

Blogger Susan from Food Blogga said ... (2/16/2007 10:39 PM) : 

Your dish looks delicious--I'm saving this to make for my husband next week.

BTW-I have been coveting your sticky-toffee dessert and mentioned it on my latest post.

 

Blogger Monkey Wrangler said ... (2/17/2007 1:23 AM) : 

Mmmmm, pork. I'm diggin' the big slabs with the dark glaze. And way to put your attitude out there some and link that article too. On that subject, I've been talkin' to a local rancher here and have a date with a roast next weekend. I'm thinking slow and smoked. Keep you posted.

 

Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said ... (2/17/2007 3:38 AM) : 

WOW! That cake does look so delicious. Give Hubbs a hug from me for being so spectacular to you. As for that pork ... it looks incredible. Wish I had checked my reader before I went shopping. BOOHOO! But I'll be certainly trying it out.

 

Blogger Patricia Scarpin said ... (2/17/2007 1:00 PM) : 

Lis,

Hubs certainly deserves lots of As!!

The pork dish looks wonderful - I don't eat pork but my husband loves it. Such a nice brown sauce!

P.S.: You guys - a.k.a. my favorite bloggers, you included, Lis - talk so much about Dorie that I ordered her book from Amazon last night. ;)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/17/2007 8:20 PM) : 

Hey! I'm glad to read your post. I was thinking about you and wondering what you were up to. Love Brilynn's card and of course your dish looks amazing!

 

Blogger Christine said ... (2/17/2007 10:13 PM) : 

That article on pork was quite alarming. Makes me want to continue to stay away from pork (at least most of the time). Your husband's dessert looks good to me, burnt crust and all!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2/17/2007 10:30 PM) : 

It all looks incredible! I think your hubby needs to be a twin for Brilynn, A man that cooks Dorie Greenspan recipes?? Right up her alley!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (2/18/2007 7:26 AM) : 

Shawnda - hehe funny how some pictures can do that, eh?

Bril - I'll bet he loved it! har! I know.. just goes to show that Dorie is so good that ANYONE can make something fab out of that book. =)

Tanna - Thanks honey =)

Gattina - Thanks! And yeah he definitely has his moments. ;)

Veronica - Mmmmm bacon *drool*

Susan - Oh! I hope he likes it! And bless your heart regarding my sticky toffee pudding - I hope you make this so I can see how it's really suppose to look! :D

Dylan - Way to go talkin to the local rancher! We went to the market yesterday and bought a few tenderloins from a local farm, which is the only way I'll buy pork from here on out. I look forward to reading/seeing your roast! =)

Meeta sweetie - I'll definitely give him a hug from you =)

Patricia - I can not wait to see what you bake from Dorie's book! You are going to love it =)

Ivonne - Hello my heart! I've been lurking here and there while tending to sniffles and hacks. lol I'm so looking forward to next week.. bought a huge block of Callebaut at the market yesterday *squee*

Christine - Tell me about it. Was one of the most disturbing articles I'd ever read. =(

Kristen - har! You're right! hehee

 

Blogger Linda said ... (2/18/2007 10:23 PM) : 

that blueberry torte looks so wonderful. i cant take it anymore --- everyone is blogging about pastries with blueberries! that's it! I'm making blueberry scones tomorrow. the end.

 

Blogger Freya said ... (2/19/2007 3:11 PM) : 

The card is very cute! The cheesecake is yummy and the pork looks wonderful!

 

Blogger Kirsten said ... (2/19/2007 7:23 PM) : 

How sweet that your hubby baked a very ambitious and beautiful dessert!! Slightly burned, yes, but really really great looking!

The pork roast looks great, I am always looking for a new way to do pork. Thanks!

 

post a comment