Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Friday, January 19, 2007

Pork Medallions with Port Wine & Mustard Sauce

I don't recall if I've ever mentioned my most favorite restaurant in alla world? It was a small place that looked like any other small restaurant/bar - I don't really recall anything that special about the atmosphere. But the food? Oh dear sweet Jebus. It was fantastic.

Unfortunately, the owner couldn't keep the place open - which shocked the hell outta me as it was ALWAYS packed. Rumors were the owners of the building upped his rent and he couldn't afford it.. other rumors were he got into a lil tax/money trouble.. whatever - the bottom line was I didn't have my favorite place to eat anymore and I was more than a lil sad. =(

Their signature dish was pork tenderloin medallions in a port wine & mustard sauce. not only did they give you TWO pork tenderloins (I ate for days!) but this sauce that was poured over them was amazing. So amazing that in all the years we went there - I never had anything but the pork medallions. I just couldn't imagine anything else being as good. Wayne, my Mom and some friends always ordered different items and never was there a complaint, but for me.. it was that damn sauce.

It's been a good 4 years or so since the restaurant closed. I've tried to recreate this sauce twice now. The first time was kind of close - but it called for pears. There were no pears in the original, but I thought what the hell and tried it. It was good.. very good. And then I lost the recipe. Mmm hmm.. so I tried again just this week. Not even close, quite frankly. I decided to just dump and pour and hope for the best. Well I didn't get the sauce I was hoping for, but I did get quite a fantastic sweet & tangy sauce that really went well with the pork.

The first thing you'll notice when you taste is it's sweetness, but then you'll taste the mustard's tang and the port wine is very nice in the background. I think the only thing I'll change the next time I make this is to cut down on the brown sugar a bit.

Hubbs didn't work that day so he wanted to contribute to the meal. I asked him to find a good side dish, preferably potatoes. He decided on an Onion and Potato Casserole that was quite nice, although probably not the best accompaniment for the medallions. Next time something lighter to offset the richness of the sauce might be better. But I'm including this recipe as it was very tasty and would be a fantastic side dish for just about any meat prepared a different way.

Port Wine & Mustard Sauce Simmering
Port Wine & Mustard Sauce

1 c. Port wine
1/4 c. dijon mustard
3/4 - 1 c. beef stock
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 TBS. butter
Pan drippings

After you've roasted your pork (I roasted mine in the same skillet I used to sear it in and then carefully made the sauce in the same skillet - keeping a thick kitchen towel over the handle at all times to remind my dork arse that it was searing hot) remove it to a dish and cover with foil to keep warm. In the skillet add the 1 c. of port wine sauce, stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula to lift off the lil brown bits of goodness. Simmer the wine until it reduces by half.

Add the mustard and about 1/2 c. of beef broth and continue to simmer until this has reduced by 1/2. Finally add the brown sugar and more broth depending on how thick you want the sauce to be. I don't think I added much more the second time - maybe a 1/4 cup or so? Anyhoo, simmer this slowly until you've reached the consistency you'd like then add the butter and stir until your sauce becomes silky. Drizzle over medallions and serve.

Potato Casserole
Onion and Potato Casserole

3 c. sliced onions (2 large onions)
2 TBS butter
1 (10.5 oz.) can condensed cream of celery soup
1/2 c. water
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
6 med. potatoes, sliced thin and parboiled
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350ยบ F.

In a skillet, cook onions in butter until lightly browned. Add soup and water, season with salt and pepper and thyme. Arrange potatoes and 1/2 c. of the cheese in a buttered 2 quart casserole. Pour onion mixture over potatoes & cheese and top with remaining cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through and lightly browned.

Serves 4

My Note: The only thing thing he did differently was cut the recipe in half.

Pork Medallions with Port Wine & Mustard Sauce

Labels: , , , , , ,

Comments on "Pork Medallions with Port Wine & Mustard Sauce"

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (1/19/2007 8:42 AM) : 

They both look wonderful but I know how this would make both of us happy in this house. I have a little piece of the tenderloin and a big helping of the potatoes and my husband would do just the opposite. But happyness would be ours.
I'd say you done good girl!!

 

Blogger Laura Rebecca said ... (1/19/2007 11:50 AM) : 

That looks so good -- they're aren't many things better than pork tenderloin, especially in a port wine sauce. And then you complement it with an onion potato casserole? Nice work!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/19/2007 1:28 PM) : 

This entire meal looks incredible! You are my kind of cook :)

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1/19/2007 3:24 PM) : 

Holy mary mother of god that sounds so abso-freakin-good!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/19/2007 4:12 PM) : 

That looks so good! What more could you ask for,well.. maybe a blazing fireplace and some good wine,sounds perfect!

 

Blogger Callipygia said ... (1/19/2007 4:19 PM) : 

Lis, I think I could just slurp on the sauce as soup! Cuppa that for me please. Also was the brown sugar amount what you used, or the reduced amount? Tell "Hubbs" the potatoes look awesome.

 

Blogger Gattina Cheung said ... (1/19/2007 7:01 PM) : 

Lis, I know how you disappointed about your favorite restaurant gone... a few of my favorite after they shut down, I suddenly felt there's no place for me to meet my friends or simply enjoy a meal. But hey darling, your husband is a good cook, I think my husband practically lived on peanut butter crackers before he met me :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/20/2007 12:56 AM) : 

That dish looks so tasty! What a yummy-sounding sauce! :)

I know it's sad when a favorite restaurant closes down...this has happened to my husband and I also. Well, at least it leads us to discvoer wonderful dishes that we can now make anytime we want! :)

 

Blogger Lis said ... (1/20/2007 11:40 AM) : 

Tanna - Thank you! You crack me up.. you guys sound like us and how we eat most dinners as well. lol

LR - Why thank you, ma'am :D

Kristen - Thanks! And the feeling is mutual.. love your blog :D

Garrett - lol thank you =)

Monisha - Where have you been? You've been missed!

Callipygia - The amount of brown sugar I used is in the ingredient list. Next time I'll drop that down I think - maybe 1/8th of a cup? And yes, I'll tell Wayne - he'll be delighted to hear it :D

Gattina - ha! Has he improved any since the days of peanut butter crackers?

Joey - Thanks! And yes, I agree about recreating your favorite restaurant dishes.. so nice to be able to make at home! :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/20/2007 4:03 PM) : 

Hi lis, that sauce sounds heavenly ...what with the port wine . I love pork, and I have 2 pork tenderloins in the freezer begging to be roasted. I guess I know what I'm going to do with them.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/21/2007 12:08 AM) : 

Oh man, looks and sounds sensational! I haven't had pork in YONKS, methinks me and an oinker need to get up close and personal...with this recipe perhaps :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/21/2007 3:35 AM) : 

I'm sure the pork is good but I am all about those potatoes....mmmmm. Must have potatoes.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/21/2007 7:02 PM) : 

Oh, Lis!

First of all I admire your dedication to keep trying the recipe. The pork medallions look gorgeous! And I love the dish that Hubbs made too!

 

Blogger Kirsten said ... (1/24/2007 1:51 AM) : 

Wow, delicious!! I think I'll try the pork this week.

Love your blog, as always. :)

 

post a comment