Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Monday, November 13, 2006

Retro Recipe Challenge #4 - Fall Favorites

I've felt horrible the past two Retro Recipe Challenges as I failed miserably to participate in both of them. I do not know what the problem was, but give me the mission to find a retro recipe and my mind goes blank. It's not that our lovely Laura Rebecca doesn't give us tons of reference websites or ideas, it's that nothing I find trips my trigger enough to get my arse into the kitchen to make it. Or, quite possibly, the traumatic experience I had when creating my recipe for Retro Recipe Challenge #1 has left an indelible mark on my psyche. That could be it.. as it was a VERY traumatic experience.

This month, for Retro Recipe Challenge #4, I was determined to join in! But here we are, already the 12th of the month, the deadline looming near and I still had not found a damn recipe that I liked. Until yesterday morning, I had started panicking again. And panicking again over being an ASS and not just picking out a recipe started to tick me off and then before I knew it, I was in a foul mood.. course that could also be the lingering effects of the fakking Fabulous food show.. I dunno. But! I started thinking about the 2nd part of the challenge - Fall Favorites - and then ideas started coming.. Fall IS my favorite - especially when it comes to food because Autumn sca-reams comfort foods and I have a long list of comfort foods!

Thus brings us to my respectfully submitted retro recipe - FINALLY. Although I can not tell you, specifically, what year this recipe was first made, I do know that Carol Brady made it for Mike and the kids, therefore it MUST fall into the Retro category, yes? Also, my mom made it for us when I was a wee lil tot - and after just turning 39 fakking years old, I KNOW this is a retro recipe as I am on the verge of becoming ancient. ha!

So here we have it my friends.. my submission for Retro Recipes #4 - The Almighty Pot Roast:

Pot Roast 2
Pot Roast

1 (2 to 3 lb.) Beef Chuck Top Blade Boneless Pot Roast (Or English Cut)
1 TBS. butter
2 c. beef stock (You could use water but I find the stock adds great flavor)
4 potatoes, peeled & quartered (I used Yukons)
4 carrots, peeled & cut into 1 inch pieces
4 celery stocks, wiped clean and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 med. Vidalia onion, quartered (I used up a good sized leek this time)
1 small carton of whole button mushrooms
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 TBS. Soy sauce
1 TBS. water
1 TBS. cornstarch

Preheat oven to 375ยบ F.

Season roast with salt and pepper. In a medium skillet sear all sides of the seasoned roast in the TBS. of butter until browned.

In a roasting pan (You can omit the skillet and roasting pan if you are the luckiest person in the world and own your very own Dutch or French oven, which I do not. *sob*) place seared roast (along with the juices and bits from the skillet) in middle and arrange your veggies around it. Season veggies with salt and pepper. Pour the beef stock over it all and cover with foil.

Pot Roast 1

Cook for 2.5 to 3 hours or until the roast falls apart with a fork. To test this, insert a fork at the very edge and pull gently, if there is no give, it's done! Transfer roast to cutting board or serving platter and let rest for 5-10 minutes.

While roast is resting, using a slotted spoon, remove vegetables and transfer to serving platter or other dish and pour broth and juices into a small sauce pan and add a slurry made of 1 TBS. soy sauce, 1 TBS. of water and 1 TBS. of cornstarch. Stir constantly over medium-high heat until gravy thickens. Actually this makes an au jus/gravy combination type sauce. It's not a recipe for authentic gravy as I really have never made it. Go figger. Gravy is retro though - so make it by all means! hee! :D

Pot Roast 3

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Retro Recipe Challenge #4 - Fall Favorites"

 

Blogger Laura Rebecca said ... (11/13/2006 7:08 AM) : 

God DAMN, that looks good!

 

Blogger Stefania Pomponi Butler aka CityMama said ... (11/13/2006 5:22 PM) : 

Holy crap that looks delicious!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/13/2006 7:14 PM) : 

YUM! I am going to send your blog addy to my mother who has been looking for a proper American pot roast recipe for some time. I think this will hit the spot.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (11/13/2006 11:27 PM) : 

LR & citymama - why thank you, gals! =)

Morven - Cool! I hope she tries it :D

 

Blogger breadchick said ... (11/14/2006 1:00 PM) : 

Ok. You can be Mrs. Brady at my house ANYTINE. My pot roast NEVER looks that good or moist....

 

Blogger breadchick said ... (11/14/2006 1:01 PM) : 

Um...I think that was suppose to be ANYTIME. That is what I get for eating sushi and typing at the same time ;-)

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (11/14/2006 3:44 PM) : 

God bless pot roasts, Lis and Carol Brady! I bet Sam the butcher couldn't produce such a glorious piece of meat! Although, maybe Alice would disagree...

 

Blogger emily said ... (11/14/2006 8:38 PM) : 

my pot roasts never come out that photogenic or appetizing - nicely done! and definitely retro.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (11/15/2006 6:18 AM) : 

Mary - haha! I heart Carol Brady, so I'd love to be her at your house anytine too! :D

Kev - HAHAHAA! Yanno.. the Brady Bunch wasn't a goody two shoes show - what with all that sexual innuendo going on - Carol schtupin' her eldest step son behind the scenes, Alice checkin' out Sam's meat on an almost daily basis.. and what? Marsha hadda have like 15 boyfriends. That house was always rockin'!

Emily - Thank you! One of the rare crap-cam pictures that actually came out nice :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/16/2006 6:03 AM) : 

Woah - I don't think I've ever had a pot roast before, looking at this makes me hungry!

 

post a comment