Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Monthly Mingle #5 - Give Thanks

monthlymingle5

For this month's Mingle, my sweet friend, Meeta has picked a theme about giving thanks. I like this idea as it's always good to think about what we have and to acknowledge our appreciation for it. Sure, we've all got our problems - who doesn't - but instead of stressing over them, it's rather nice to take a moment or two to think about your loved ones and how they care about you, your home and how there is no better feeling than coming home. Your health and how grateful you are to be alive to share your life with your loved ones, be it family and/or friends. The list can go on and on.

I'm thankful for many, many things. I have a Mom who is also my best friend. I have a man who loves me for who I am and who I love deeply. I have three beautiful "furry" kids who I cherish more than I ever thought possible. I have a nice home that's cozy and welcoming. I have a handful of true friends that I know will always be there for me and who I hope they know I'll always be there for them. I have my health - although I'm not in the best shape that I could be - I am alive and grateful for it.

My list goes on and on as well, but you get the idea, yes? =)

For this month's Mingle I've decided to say thanks to Hubbs. This man may drive me insane on occasion (heee!) but I do love him with all my heart. He shows me affection constantly. He helps around the house, he takes care of his yard, he comforts me when I'm down, he cracks me up like no one else can, he likes to do the same stuff I like to do and he's shown me things I've never seen before. He's easy going which is nice because I'm the stressed out worrying alla time type - so I know I can count on him to "talk me down" when I get wacko. lol Above all, he makes me feel loved and special.

And so, to show him some of my appreciation this week, I made him his absolute favorite food. Scallops. He doesn't care how they are prepared, all he cares about is that he's getting scallops. I've made them many times for him - and always a different way. This time I wanted to make a sauce that was tangy with a nice punch of heat. So I chose this ginger-lime sauce to drizzle over them.

When I first tasted the sauce while it was reducing, I was quite alarmed - whoa baby was it salty! Woo!! I thought I screwed up and was already getting out ingredients to make the old stand-by garlic and butter sauce to replace it. But I continued cooking it and added a lil sugar to tone it down a bit. This sauce ended up being fantabulous with the seared scallops and white rice that I served with it. It really brought out the taste of the scallops, which surprised me. If you decide to make this sauce, my only words of caution are - use it sparingly as it does pack quite a punch. We found that just a drizzle over the scallops and then maybe a spoonful or two over the rice was just perfect. It's tangy and salty and sweet and spicy all at the same time.

Seared Scallops with Ginger-Lime Sauce
Seared Scallops with Ginger-Lime Sauce

1 lb. of sea or diver scallops
1 TBS. butter
4 TBS. soy sauce (this could be cut down to lessen the salt - or use the low-sodium soy sauce)
2 TBS. light brown sugar
2 TBS. fresh ginger - either grated or minced
2 tsp. ground chilis (I used ground ancho chili powder)
2 tsp. fresh, minced garlic
1 tsp. rice wine vinegar
1 tsp. lime juice (I upped this to 2 tsp.)
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 TBS. corn starch
2 TBS. water

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until it's just starting to brown. Lay your scallops between two layers of paper towels and apply pressure to coax the extra liquid out of them. Season the tops with sea salt and pepper then transfer them, top side down, to the hot skillet. Season the other side and leave them alone for about 3 minutes or until the bottoms are nicely seared. Flip only once and sear until browned and cooked through - approximately another 3-4 minutes, if even.

For this sauce recipe you could do two things. Put all ingredients, except the corn starch and water, into a jar or container with a tight lid and shake until combined then refrigerate for 24 hours before use. This preparation would be more for a marinade. Or you can add all ingredients to a small saucepan and cook over medium high heat until you get the desired thickness you'd like. That's the way I went.

*Note: I also doubled all ingredients except for the cornstarch and water as that was plenty to thicken the double batch perfectly. And I added 2 scant TBS. of white granulated sugar to help cut the salt a bit.

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Monthly Mingle #5 - Give Thanks"

 

Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said ... (11/15/2006 7:19 AM) : 

Do I like it? I absolutely LOVE it and find in FANTABOULOS. I have to give it a shot here, that is for sure.

I THANK YOU for the entry and your kind friendship.

Hugs

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/15/2006 10:48 AM) : 

how sweet is that! I think its a great idea to take a moment to say thanks to loved ones around you, and what better way to do that than with these yummy looking scallops!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/15/2006 3:08 PM) : 

What a lovely post. Your Hubbs is a lucky guy.

Now that I am no longer scared of cooking scallops I shall give this one a try. YUM

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/15/2006 9:18 PM) : 

You are both lucky to have found each other and it is really nice of you to cook his favorite. My grandma was right: the way to a man's heart is through his stomach!
I LOVE this recipe, sounds delicious!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/16/2006 2:35 AM) : 

I'm with your hubby. I love me some scallops. Those look quite yummy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/16/2006 2:35 AM) : 

I'm with your hubby. I love me some scallops. Those look quite yummy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/16/2006 7:21 AM) : 

Wonderful post and man oh man, just look at those scallops! Cooking someone's favourite food is a lovely way of showing someone that they're loved and appreciated - hubbs must be a very happy man :)

 

Blogger Sara said ... (11/16/2006 3:24 PM) : 

Scott would love these! What a great recipe.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (11/16/2006 4:15 PM) : 

Thanks everyone! They were very good.. but seriously, do not forget my warning about that sauce being salty on it's own.. ;)

 

Blogger Rachel said ... (11/16/2006 5:47 PM) : 

They sound yummy! I love scallops.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11/18/2006 6:45 PM) : 

Mmmmm . . . what an elegant and delicious way to say "thank you"!

 

post a comment