Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Monday, October 02, 2006

Seafood Chowder and Honey Cornbread

I wasn't even going to post the Seafood Chowder recipe as I did not like it at all. But, I do not like seafood in soups/chowders unless it's my father's clam chowder - AND I'm not a fan of bacon in my soups either.. I figure this recipe must be decent though, as Hubbs ate not one.. not two.. but three fakkin bowls of the stuff! Therefore, I'm sharin' =)

The Honey Cornbread, on the other hand, was delicious. Not too sweet and not too crumbly. Unfortunately, I didn't cook it long enough (as you'll see in the picture) and the very middle was smooshy - but the rest of it was pretty tasty!

Seafood Chowder
Seafood Chowder
Courtesy of Recipezaar

3 slices of bacon, chopped
1 TBS. olive oil
1 c. celery, sliced
1 c. onions, chopped
2 c. chicken stock
1 bottle of clam juice
2 c. potatoes, peeled & chopped (I used baby reds, so I didn't bother peeling)
1 c. carrots, sliced
1 can (15 oz.) tomato juice
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. sea salt
1 TBS. corn starch (See Note)
1 TBS. water
1 lb. of seafood (I used a bag of assrt. seafood that I purchased at Trader Joe's - shrimp, bay scallops and calamari rings)

Saute bacon in medium to large stock pot until crisp, add 1 TBS. olive oil, onions and celery sauteing until soft.

Add stock, clam juice, tomato juice, potatoes and carrots. Season with salt & pepper. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 35 minutes.

Add seafood and a slurry made of the cornstarch and water. (1 TBS. cornstarch and 1 TBS. of water didn't come close to thickening this chowder - so I added 2 TBS. of both and it still didn't thicken.. I gave up, basically because it wasn't a big deal to us that the chowder was more like a soup. So if you want this thick, I suggest starting with 2 TBS. of cornstarch and water and then adding more to get the thickness you desire). Cook for an additional 10 minutes.

Honey Cornbread
Honey Cornbread
Courtesy of Recipezaar

1 c. all purpose flour
1 c. yellow cornmeal
1/4 c. sugar
1 TBS. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 c. heavy cream
3 TBS. honey
1/4 c. vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 400ยบ F.

Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl.

Combine wet ingredients in a medium bowl and then slowly add dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Transfer to either a 9" springform pan or a 8" x 8" baking dish that's well greased. Bake for 20 minutes in preheated oven, or until toothpick comes out clean. (guess who was rushing and forgot to check with a toothpick? *sigh*)

Slather slices in butter (ya'll) and enjoy! ;)

Labels: , , , ,

Comments on "Seafood Chowder and Honey Cornbread"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10/02/2006 9:58 AM) : 

Hi, my name's Ellie and I'm a seafood addict.

Seriously, I can see why hubbs had 3 bowls, I reckon I would've given him a run for his money in the refills department! And clam juice? You guys can get bottled clam juice? No fair! :(

What's corn bread like? Is it just like regular bread..but corny?

 

Blogger Gattina Cheung said ... (10/02/2006 6:02 PM) : 

for me bacon doesn't bother me but tomato. I mean your recipe really sounds delcious but I just don't have a taste for tomato (except pasta huh). Things are changing though since I started blogging, who know, your seafood chowder will probably be a regular on our dinning table someday *wink*

 

Blogger Lis said ... (10/03/2006 6:24 AM) : 

Ellie muh luv - Yes, happily you can buy small bottles of clam juice in our grocery stores - and they do come in handy - but they are don't come close to the broth you get when you steam your own clams.

Cornbread.. you've used cornmeal before, yes? So the cornbread has a bit of a grainy texture and it's crumbly - but the sweetness from the corn and the honey shines through and cornbread is the perfect compliment to chili, stews, soups and chowders.

Gattina - hehe yes, like I said in the post the only chowder I like is my Dad's recipe for clam chowder and there is no tomatoes in that. Although the tomato juice in this recipe wasn't overpowering. But I so know what you mean.. I despise beets - but from reading Callipygia's recent post, I now want to try to roast them and see how they taste.. this blogging thing really does open your mind to ingredients you'd never thought to use in the past. =)

 

post a comment