Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Verdict

The last recipe I tried from my new Cooking Light's Annual Recipes 2006 cookbook was Steak Diane. I'd heard of this sauce before but have never tried, so I'm not sure if Cooking Light's version holds a candle to the real thing or not.. but we found it to be wonderful. It added just the right zing to the tenderloin steaks that I grilled Sunday night. Let's not forget.. I wasn't in the greatest shape Sunday after the gigglefest of the night before and had no energy to make anything even remotely complicated. This sauce came together in a jif, thankfully.

So the verdict is in.. although I'm still not thrilled with the disorganization of this book - I made 5 recipes and each one was fantastic. Hubbs was very happy with the results as well, so I'll be keeping this book. I might even subscribe to the magazine, who knows? =)

Steak Diane
Steak Diane
Courtesy of Cooking Light's Annual Recipes 2006

1 tsp. butter
1/2 c. finely chopped shallots
1/3 c. water
2 TBS. Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 TBS. fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 TBS. dry sherry
1/4 tsp. salt
2 TBS. chopped fresh parsley

2 steaks of your choice - I went with 2 6 oz. tenderloin steaks.
seasoning of your choice - Recipe suggested salt & pepper, I went with garlic salt & pepper.

Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Season the steaks and add them to the pan (or grill them on the grill, as I did), cook 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from pan, cover and keep warm.

Melt the butter over medium heat. Add shallots and cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add water and next 3 ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute. Stir in 1/4 tsp. salt. Spoon sauce over steaks and sprinkle with parsley.

*Note: The yield on this sauce is 6 servings (serving size 1 1/2 TBS. sauce). I did cook the sauce a little longer than called for so mine reduced a bit - but even so, there is just no way this recipe will yield 9 TBS. of sauce. So if you are cooking more than 2 steaks, double (at least!) the recipe.

Labels: , ,

Comments on "The Verdict"

 

Blogger Deetsa said ... (7/19/2006 8:59 AM) : 

Oooh! I've made this for the Frog before--about two years ago. I have a recipe with cream in... errr I think.
Let's just say it didn't pass muster with a man who prefers bernaise.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/19/2006 3:27 PM) : 

In the end, what matters are the results! Beautiful steak!

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (7/19/2006 3:58 PM) : 

Sounds like Heaven (I think my Heaven must be a place full of dead cows).

 

Blogger Lis said ... (7/20/2006 6:11 AM) : 

Hi Nerissa, thanks for stopping by! Those picky men.. what are ya gonna do? hehe

Ivonne - Thanks! Yeah, really, I am glad the book is a keeper.. let's just say Paula Deen would be simply shocked at the amount of butter I have not used in a week. Who woulda thunk it? lol

Kevin - HAHAHAAAA! I see dead cows.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/22/2006 2:57 AM) : 

I agree with Ivonne - the sauce looks and sounds simple and delish, but with a steak that beautiful, the sauce would serve as icing on the steak!

HAHA!

Sorry, my puns suck. I'll go hide in the pantry now...

 

post a comment