Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Hand-Hacked Pot Stickers with Tangy Ginger Dipping Sauce

We're 3 for 4 in the Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2006 countdown. Actually, to be truthful, 4 for 4 as that first recipe was pretty darn tasty, just a tad too much vinegar for my tastes. Tonight's try-out was the above mentioned Asian dish. I've had pot stickers from a restaurant one time and I did not like them. Why did I try this recipe then? A.B. (Alton Brown) talked me into it after watching one of his episodes on wonton wrappers. Not to mention, the recipe in the book looked easy.

These were simply delicious. Capital D little licious. I feared Hubbs would not agree, but he was very disappointed after he ate his dozen pot stickers because there were no more. The man even drank the rest of his dipping sauce. Now ya know he hadda like it, eh? Actually there are more. They are in my freezer for another night when we want something quick and super easy (yeah super easy then.. there will be no chopping and wrapping of lil dumpling goodness like there was tonight.)

Really though, they weren't hard to make at all.. just time consuming. Thankfully, I made those other wonton appetizers for the 4th of July, so I knew what was in store and made myself a wrapping station at our dining room table so I could be comfortable for the long haul. After the chopping and wrapping of the dumplings, cooking was a breeze. You just brown them on each side for a few seconds and then cook them in some chicken stock for a few minutes more. They had fabulous flavor and the dipping sauce was both tangy and sweet, which accompanied the pot stickers perfectly - I so love the savory/sweet taste sensation. :D

Hand Hacked Potstickers w/Tangy Ginger Dipping Sauce
Hand Hacked Pot Stickers with Tangy Ginger Dipping Sauce
Courtesy of Cooking Light's Annual Recipes 2006

1 c. chopped napa (Chinese) cabbage
1 c. chopped spinach (Recipe didn't say, so I used fresh spinach)
1/2 c. minced green onions
1 TBS. low-sodium soy sauce (I used regular soy sauce)
1 tsp. minched peeled fresh ginger
1/2 tsp. dark sesame oil
Dash of white pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 lb. lean ground pork
1/4 lb.peeled and deveined shrimp, chopped (I threw 'em in my processor and they were done in a jif)
24 round wonton wrappers or gyoza skins (See *Note below)
1 TBS. canola oil, divided
2 c. fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided (I used a good chicken stock - full fat and full sodium. So apparently I suck at this eating light thing)
Green onion strips (optional)

Combine first 10 ingredients in a bowl. Working with 1 wonton wrapper at a time (cover remaining wrappers with a damp towel to prevent drying), spoon about 1 heaping teaspoon of filling into center of each wrapper. Moisten edges of wrapper with water. Fold in half, pinching sealed edges of pot sticker between thumb and first two fingers of each hand, form 3 or 4 pleats along seal. Place dumplings, seams sides up, on a platter.

Heat 1 1/2 tsp. canola oil in a large nonstick skillet.

Arrange 12 pot stickers, seam sides up, in pan, and cook 30 seconds or until browned (I did this for all 3 sides). Add 1 cup chicken broth to pan, cover and cook 5 minutes. Uncover and cook about 1 minute or until liquid evaporates. Remove pot stickers from pan, cover and keep warm. Repeat procedure with 1 1/2 tsp. canola oil, 12 pot stickers and 1 c. broth. Garnish with green onion strips, if desired. Serve immediately.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 3 pot stickers)

*Note: HA!! As if 3 pot stickers would serve Hubbs and I as one serving. Puh-lease. Regardless of that lil tid-bit, the amount of stuffing exceeds 24 wrappers, by quite a bit. I used a heaping teaspoon (sometimes more) in each of mine and I got a whole package of rectangular wontons (less 2 that ripped) filled. I made 18 tonight and froze the rest.

Hand Hacked Potstickers w/Tangy Ginger Dipping Sauce
Tangy Ginger Dipping Sauce
Courtesy of Cooking Light's Annual Recipes 2006

1/2 c. chopped, peeled tomatoes (Oopsie didn't have any so I chopped up about 10 grape tomatoes)
1/3 c. chopped green onions
1/4 c. fresh lime juice
1/4 c. rice vinegar
1 1/2 TBS. white, granulated sugar
2 tsp. chopped, peeled ginger
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (I forgot, once again to buy a jalapeno, so it was omitted - I can't help it, I'm not use to buying hot peppers! hehe)

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, stir well with a whisk until sugar dissolves. Chill for at least an hour.. or several hours for maximum flavor melding.

Yield: 1 cup. (serving size: 1 TBS.)

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Hand-Hacked Pot Stickers with Tangy Ginger Dipping Sauce"

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (7/13/2006 12:37 AM) : 

YUM-I could eat those for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Something about that sauteed pasta/doughy wrapper with those savory fillings is extremely pleasurable.

Why am I always hungry after reading your posts?

 

Blogger Laura Rebecca said ... (7/13/2006 9:23 AM) : 

That looks sooo good. Again, I bemoan the fact that current Internet technology does not allow one to reach through the screen and pick up food.

 

post a comment