Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Monday, June 26, 2006

Summer Tortellini Salad for WCC #6

This pasta salad is pretty much the only pasta salad I really enjoy. And it was a total fluke that I ever found the recipe for it as the cookbook that contains it is one of my least favorites that I rarely ever look to for inspiration. Betty Crocker's Easy Summer Recipes is chock full of the same old boring recipes you've seen a 1,000 times over. Potato salads, cold sandwiches, that Jello poke cake that's frosted with whipped cream and decorated with strawberries and blueberries to create the American flag.. yanno.. things that might have been new and inspiring about 25 years ago.

With that said, this one little gem did catch my eye and I've been making it ever since. I decided this salad would be perfect for my submission to this month's WCC #6 event :D


Summer Tortellini Salad
1 pkg. Buitoni 3 Cheese Tortellini (found in refrigerator section)
1 bell pepper, diced (doesn't matter what color, although I prefer yellow or orange)
1 bunch green onions, sliced (Using both white and green parts)
1 can medium black olives
1/2-1 full carton grape tomatoes
1 slice of bavarian ham, diced (Slice should be about 1/2" thick & cut from middle of ham)
1 slice of oven roasted turkey, diced (Sliced the same as the ham)
2 slices hard salami, diced (Yep, you guessed it, sliced the same as ham & turkey)
1/2 c. Wishbone Robusto Italian dressing
1/8 c. balsamic vinegar
1/4 c. canola oil (Or EVOO)
2 tsp. garlic salt

Combine all your meats & veggies into a large bowl. Pour the Wishbone dressing on top and stir well. You could stop here (although you'd prolly need more dressing as the tortellini will absorb a lot as it sits). I find bottled dressing is a lil too sweet for my liking - but I was following the recipe, so I had to use it. Here's where I cheat. Combine balsamic & oil until you get an emulsion. Sprinkle the garlic salt over the salad and then pour the vinegar & oil over the salad and mix well. I figured the next time I'd make the salad I'd just use my balsamic & oil dressing, but I found I really like the combo of my dressing with the bottled dressing.. go figure :D

Labels: ,

Comments on "Summer Tortellini Salad for WCC #6"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/26/2006 1:43 PM) : 

I love fresh summer salads.This one looks great.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (6/27/2006 6:03 AM) : 

Thanks Em =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/27/2006 9:49 AM) : 

Beautiful salad - great combination of textures and flavours!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/27/2006 2:26 PM) : 

Great salad, Lisa!

I like Buitoni cheese tortellini and would have never thought to use tortellini for a salad.

Sounds like picnic food to me!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (6/28/2006 6:36 AM) : 

Ellie - Why thank you darlin' =)

Ivonne - Thanks! I never would have thought about using tortellini in a pasta salad either until I came upon that recipe.. now, when I eat normal pasta salad I don't like it as much lol

 

post a comment