Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Friday, June 23, 2006

100 posts and a fantastic salad

Yay.. my 100th post! Too bad I discovered this at 3 in the morning, after waking up to an OMG I gotta pee! and Nigel! Stop licking my face, dammit! ordeal. gah. I'm too tired to be excited. Why didn't I just go back to bed? Dogs, that's why. Gawd forbid I wake up in the middle of the night for a drink of water or to get rid of some excess water without letting them go do the same. I suppose it's fair, but it's nights like this when I miss their kennel (even though I do love having them take up most of the bed, allowing me a 4" x 4" space somewhere in the upper left corner). Come to think of it, between Nigel, Chloe and Hubbs - it's amazing I get any sleep while being crammed into such a small space. Why the hell am I telling you all this?? Gah. Sleep.. soon.. *sigh*

I'm up now, at least for an hour before I'll be able to go back, so I wanted to post about my YUMMY dinner last night. I was checking out my favorite blogs yesterday morning at work, as I always do, and when I read Kevin's post about a mouthwatering Grilled Corn and Shrimp Salad I knew I had to make this to go with the steaks I had taken out for dinner. Ohhh and am I glad I did. This salad was fabulous. The grilling of the corn and shrimp added that extra smokey flavor that was perfect with the tenderloin steaks. Although this salad really was a perfect pairing with our steaks, the next time I make it I'll serve it as the main dish, such as Kevin did. Hubbs raved about it and I'm already thinking of the next time I can serve it with a good crusty garlic bread and a chilled glass of wine. Would tonight be too soon?

I apologize for my horrid picture.. it doesn't do justice to what a pretty salad this is. Please check out Kevin's post for a gorgeous picture of what the salad really looks like in all it's fabulous glory =)

Grilled Corn & Shrimp Salad
Grilled Corn & Shrimp Salad Courtesy of Kevin

3 ears of corn
1/4 cup (scant) olive oil, plus additional for brushing on corn and shrimp
1/2 lb. medium shrimp
1/2 sweet onion, chopped fine
1 jalapeno pepper, minced (See note)
1/4 c. loosely packed cilantro, chopped
3 TBS. fresh lemon juice
1 TBS. white wine vinegar
salt & pepper

Spinach or salad greens

Brush the corn with some olive oil and grill until corn browns and just starts to blister. Cool. Cut kernels from cobs and place corn into bowl.

Brush shrimp with olive oil and grill until just cooked through. Add shrimp along with onion, jalapeno and cilantro to the bowl with the corn.

In a seperate bowl, combine lemon juice, 1/4 cup (scant) olive oil, vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Pour dressing over the corn mixture and stir until coated. Place spinach or salad greens on plates and spoon corn and shrimp mixture into center.

My note: Normally I end up changing this or that in a recipe to make it my own. This recipe looked so outstanding that I did not change a thing, therefore it's copied word for word from Kevin's site. I even added the jalapeno, Kevin!! Woo!! I just cut the membranes from it so the heat would be more mild - I really enjoyed it! teee!

Labels: , ,

Comments on "100 posts and a fantastic salad"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/23/2006 8:49 AM) : 

Sounds like one I'll have to try.

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (6/23/2006 12:57 PM) : 

Moving on to jalapenos now huh? My evil plan to convert you to an asbestos mouth (like me) is working!!! Tomorrow, the world!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/23/2006 2:29 PM) : 

Congratulations on your 100th post! Good for you!!!

 

Blogger Ed Tep said ... (6/24/2006 3:33 AM) : 

Lis - Congrats on joining the Centurion club!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (6/24/2006 7:11 AM) : 

Emily - you won't be sorry =)

Kevin - It IS working! hehe Although I think I can safely say I'll prolly never develop an asbestos mouth.. baby steps yanno. tee!

Ivonne & Ed - Thanks! Time flies =) Now does my 100th post count when I'm pretty much plagiarizing Kevin's blog? lol

 

Blogger archana said ... (6/24/2006 11:12 AM) : 

Congratulations, that's feat!!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/26/2006 1:12 AM) : 

Woo! Congrats on the 100th post lis ^___^ And what a lovely dish to do it with! Of course, props to Kevin for providing the simple, yet stunning recipe!

 

post a comment