Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Macerated Berries & Mascarpone in Puff Pastry

So here is the story about last night.. I'll try to keep it short. =)

I made quite an big dinner, not just for myself, but because I was having a dinner guest. Unfortunately, that dinner guest could not make it at the last minute. I was bummed. Not only because I was looking forward to it and had put a good amount of time in thinking about what I was going to prepare and then the actual prep of the dinner.. but wtf am I going to do with all this food? har! I usually take these dinners I've been making while Hubbs is gone to my mom, but she can't eat beef.. so I have a boatload of delicious Italian stuffed flank steak if anyone is interested?? heeee!

I also have quite a nice summery desert left over as well. I had a hankerin' for strawberry shortcake but realized at the last minute that I had no Bisquick. Yep folks, I use Bisquick for my shortcakes. So what to do? I don't really like sponge cake all that much, so that was out. Searching pantry and freezer.. a package of frozen puff pastry jumped out at me. Perfect! I rolled it out, cut it into 12 squares and molded each square into the cups of a muffin tin. Although I docked the bottoms of the cups, they still puffed up but they worked and it was a nice compliment to the berries and cheese.

This desert is not too sweet and on the light side, which is truly nice for something after a heavy dinner of stuffed beef or just something nice to nibble on after a long, hot summer day.

Macerated Berries with Mascarpone in Puff Pastry
Macerated Berries and Mascarpone in Puff Pastry

For the berries:
1 container of strawberries
1 container of blueberries
3 TBS. white granulated sugar
1/4 c. orange juice

For the filling:
1 (8 oz.) pkg. mascarpone cheese, softened (You can substitute with cream cheese)
1 c. confectioners' sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

1/2 pkg. (1 sheet) puff pastry

Allow the sheet of puff pastry to thaw on the counter for about 40 minutes.

Either slice or chunk your strawberries and put them into a medium sized bowl. Using a potato masher, mash the strawberries a bit, to bring some juice out. Add the blue berries, sugar and orange juice, mix well. Set aside for at least 30 minutes. You can make this up to a day ahead if you wish, store in refrigerator.

Preheat oven to 400ยบ F.

On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry out into a 12" x 9" rectangle. Cut out squares, roughly 3" x 3" - you should be able to get 12 squares. Mold each square into the cups of a muffin tin. Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until they are golden brown and puffed. You can also do this ahead, storing them in an airtight ziplock bag.

Combine mascarpone with confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Again, this can be done the day before, store in refrigerator.

To assemble your cups:
Take 2 of the puff pastry cups and fill each cup with 1 TBS. of the mascarpone mixture then spoon the macerated berries on top. I hadda get a lil bit of chocolate in the mix (surprising, eh?) and I had a container of chocolate Cool Whip in my freezer so I said what the hey.. a dollop on top added quite a nice finish to the not too sweet berries.

Macerated Berries with Mascarpone in Puff Pastry cu

Labels: ,

Comments on "Macerated Berries & Mascarpone in Puff Pastry"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/21/2006 10:02 AM) : 

I have a word document about 20 pages long filled with recipes copied from various food blogs to try in the summer...

this makes 21 :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5/21/2006 11:52 AM) : 

Had I known, I would have hopped on a plane and joined you for dinner!!!

The dessert is gorgeous!

 

Blogger Lis said ... (5/21/2006 4:02 PM) : 

Ellie - aww thanks sweetie.. well listen since you can't get good strawberries.. I'll bet this will be divine with blackberries.. or heck any berry for that matter :D

Ivonne - Next time I get a cancellation like that I'll call you first! teee heeee! =)

 

post a comment