Malto Mario


Feast


The Lady & Sons


1,000 Italian Recipes

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Japanese Wings

I realized that I haven't posted a new wing recipe in a while. So I decided to make a variety that I love and find totally addicting.. but Hubbs finds them a lil too sweet. (Even tho' he slathers them with a hotsauce that promises a firey bowel movement right on the label - eww. I just don't get the appeal of some of those hot sauces lol) These wings are scrumptious. The recipe includes ingredients that most have on hand in their pantries, they are super easy to fix and the flavor you get when they are done is outstanding. These are on the sweet side.. almost like a candied wing, but savory at the same time. The sauce reminds me of Orange Chicken that a lot of Asian restaurants offer. Yet there is no orange in the recipe. I also taste honey, where again, there is no honey in the recipe. Your wings turn out crispy and sticky at the same time, which for me, is heavenly. This sauce can be applied to all chicken pieces, not just the wings. I've used it on breasts and on tenderloins with great success. My only suggestion would be, if you try this sauce on larger pieces of chicken, double the sauce so that you can drizzle it over some rice to go with your chicken. Yum!!

Japanese Wings
Japanese Wings

3 lbs. chicken wings - See Note Below
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 c. all-purpose flour for coating
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 c. butter - I've never been able to bring myself to fry in that much butter, so I usually use canola or peanut oil and it works fine

Sauce
3 TBS. soy sauce
3 TBS. water
1 c. white sugar
1/2 c. white vinegar - Apple cider vinegar works well too
1 tsp. minced garlic or 1/2 tsp. powdered garlic - or to taste
1 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350ยบ F. Line a roasting pan that has at least 2 inch sides with foil - you really don't want to skip this step as clean up is a true bitch if you don't line your pan and then IMMEDIATELY wash it when cooking is done. Seriously.

You can keep your wings whole as I do, or cut them in half, then dip in egg and coat with flour, salt and pepper. I've skipped the egg part and just dredged the chicken in a mixture of flour, salt & pepper - you don't miss the egg at all.

Heat butter or oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Fry wings until brown. Place in a shallow, foil lined, roasting pan.

In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, water, sugar, vinegar, garlic and salt. Pour over wings.

Bake in a preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes, basting wings with sauce often - I usually baste every 5 to 10 minutes. I also bake them closer to 45 minutes to get that super carmelized sticky result.

*Note: I normally cook about 8 whole wings, I have no idea what the poundage is. But for 8 whole wings, the sauce is just enough. I don't think those 8 equal out to 3 pounds, so if you were going to make more than that, double your sauce.

The sauce will stay thin. If you prefer a thicker sauce then mix 1 TBS. cornstarch to the soy sauce and water before adding the sugar and other ingredients.

Also.. when you open the oven to baste, the vinegar will take your breath away.. but don't be alarmed, these wings are not vinegary in the least.

Japanese Wings cu

Labels: , ,

Comments on "Japanese Wings"

 

Blogger Laura Rebecca said ... (5/31/2006 9:03 AM) : 

So funny: my husband isn't into sweet glazes either, but I LOVE them.

This sounds so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

 

Blogger Acme Instant Food said ... (5/31/2006 4:59 PM) : 

8 wings! Sheesh! That's as bad as Laura Rebecca's bogus "2 dozen yield" from her cookie recipe a week or so ago. I need a minimum of 8 wings myself just for quality control.

Okay, I admit that I may be a bit of a pig. Those look scrumptious.

 

Blogger Lis said ... (6/01/2006 9:14 AM) : 

LR - just more sticky sweet goodness for us :D

Kevin - hahahaaaa! You crack me up!

 

post a comment